When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Davidsen Hands - Any one seen this issue?

I got the Davidsen hand set and dial for my 111h today. They look great. He even threw in a set of 24mm strap screws for free. So needless to say I'm not bickering or complaining as I'm sure he will resolve the situation I'm about to explain. Just seeking advice from more experienced members!

OK so I got the dial installed. I'm going to have to trim it because the diameter is a little larger than the OEM one. This isn't the issue. I knew this going in to the deal w/ Davidsen as he disclosed the size and I knew it would be larger than I needed. OK now that I got that off my chest here's the real issue. I went to install the hours and minutes hands. Got the minutes hand pressed and to my suprise the recessed pinion was gone? Yay good for Davidsen!?! or could this be an issue? Well the answer is yes. Since the hands have no recess pinion anymore what does this mean? Obviously I didn't change the pinion so it didn't just get taller all of a sudden. I knew right then that I would have issues with the second hand not having enough space to travel under the hours hand.

So heres the issue. Photo below. It appears as though these hands would work perfectly on a PAM model without the running seconds @ 9. It would also solve the recessed pinion issue. But unfortunately it won't work for me. So check out the picture and while I'm waiting for a response from Davidsen maybe someone can offer some sound advice!

Cheers,

Jon :victory:

83289-29918.jpg

Davidsens hands are meant to fit the correct height cannon pinion and hour wheel which is why they do not fit your watch. The rep hands have the extra length of tube on them so they clear the dial with the standard short cannon pin/hour wheel. It's not Davidsens fault at all. Do half the job and you will get half the results.

These hands are meant to fit the correct height cannon pinion and hour wheel which is why they do not fit your watch. They are exactly like the gen hands so unless you change the cannon pin/hour wheel they will not clear the dial. It's not davidsens fault at all. Do half the job and you will get half the results.

Yeah I thought maybe this was the issue. Hopefully he will just exchange them for me. I do not intend on swapping out the pinnion on the movement. Its a little beyond my expertise at the moment.

Then why buy his hands?

Main reason was that my rep, from Eddie had the silver subdial (seconds). An inaccuracy I didn't catch until months after the purchase. Also the lettering on the dial was a little crooked. I caught this flaw around the same time. EL sent me a new dial with no hesitation but it was a bit thicker than the original so I decided to just order a new one from Davidsen. I also thought that the lume would be better than original on both the dial and the hands.

So here is my main point, and now I feel like I'm defending myself for some odd reason :g: but anyway. I'm not up for sending watches to have the movements serviced nor modded. I've spoken w/ The Zigmeister on numerous occasions but just take pride in doing the work myself. I would rather do simple mods myself until I get a better grasp for the more difficult ones. So I can now do hand swaps comfortably. I can swap dials no issues. I've now done a few movement swaps as well. These are things I wouldn't have attempted just a few months ago! So I'm learning, which is my main goal of hanging out here and at other forums. So right now I'm just not comfortable with movement mods and servicing! But one day I will and one day I hope to help other members in these areas! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyway I'm done with this rant. Like I said above I'm not complaining about Davidsen. I will order more from him and quite frankly I'm very happy with the turn around time of this order as well as the communication he provided. I posted this thread merely to see if someone else had seen the same issues or to see if someone had a solution other than exchanging the product!

Does that make me a bad person? :brow:

Edited by Bignasty

So needless to say I'm not bickering or complaining as I'm sure he will resolve the situation I'm about to explain. Just seeking advice from more experienced members!

You posted a rant before giving the dealer time to solve the problem.

How would you feel if the boot were on the other foot?

Did you not read? :whistling:

Also had this been a complaint it would have been posted in the Dealer Review section not the Repair and Mod forum!

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by Bignasty

Jon I was not criticising you so please don't take my comments the wrong way. It's all very well doing your own mods but you should take more time to do research on this sort of thing. I was merely pointing out for other readers that these hands are designed to be used on a movt that has had the cannon pin and hour wheel changed and not as a straight replacement for the rep hands. As you rightly mention these will get rid of the recess issue (which is the result of the rep hands having a longer tube to compensate for the shorter cannon pin) but only on the non sub seconds type watches.

To do this upgrade properly the cannon pin and hour wheel must be changed. However if you are not concerned about the lume of the rep dial and hands then all that is needed is to keep the rep hands and file down the tube on the minute hand only to .44mm - then the recess will disappear anyway.

Jon I was not criticising you so please don't take my comments the wrong way. It's all very well doing your own mods but you should take more time to do research on this sort of thing. I was merely pointing out for other readers that these hands are designed to be used on a movt that has had the cannon pin and hour wheel changed and not as a straight replacement for the rep hands. As you rightly mention these will get rid of the recess issue (which is the result of the rep hands having a longer tube to compensate for the shorter cannon pin) but only on the non sub seconds type watches.

To do this upgrade properly the cannon pin and hour wheel must be changed. However if you are not concerned about the lume of the rep dial and hands then all that is needed is to keep the rep hands and file down the tube on the minute hand only to .44mm - then the recess will disappear anyway.

Thanks Finepics! A member @ RWI also said you did a hand swap for him w/ these hands and you were able to slightly bend the hands so that they could clear the second hands! I thought about this but Davidsen is being very polite and including the proper hands in my next order, which is the parts for my "Ultimate Fiddy".

Hope theres no bad blood!

Cheers,

JOn :victory:

how much did you pay for the hands?

You may contact sevomd. He bought my EL v2 fiddy. I had the cannon pinion installed, but didn't shorten the hands.

So maybe he will be installed. I believe he needs an extra dial.

Thanks I'll contact Eddy after sorting out the details w/ Davidsen!

Jon

Hmmm... I ordered a set of fiddy hands from Davidsen (and got them in a record 4 days as well!)... I have done no research on the matter in regards to heights etc, I thought these hands (capped) are supposed to alleviate the recessed canon pinion problem.

Is there going to be an issue with the height of the hands I received?

Hmmm... I ordered a set of fiddy hands from Davidsen (and got them in a record 4 days as well!)... I have done no research on the matter in regards to heights etc, I thought these hands (capped) are supposed to alleviate the recessed canon pinion problem.

Is there going to be an issue with the height of the hands I received?

No don't worry. The capped hands will work no problems. Neither Davidsen nor I bothered to ask which movement these hands were going to be installed on! He I guess assumed they would be on an extended pinion and I assumed that he knew it would not!

All is well now though. And don't fret I've got the capped hands on order for my Fiddy as well!

Jon and David - if you want the ultimate fiddy then don't get the capped hands - they are very obviously wrong. Get the short tube Davidsen hands (Jon you already have these still?) and get the cannon pin upgraded to the correct height. I have some in stock so Pm me if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

What you guys discuss about is very useful? I am also try to find out if the Dave's capped hands can go with normal cannon pin or it needs the long cannon pin. If it can go with normal cannon pin, then all those watches out there can upgrade easily. My conclusion is that it will need the long cannon pin anyway. So if we want the pin and hand flush, then we have to do 2 upgrades 1) change to the high cannon pin, 2) use the capped hand.

Confirm me if this is right. Correct me if this is wrong. So I can choose the right choice from 1st time.

Thanks.