When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

unusually shaped creations from some fine watchmakers

caracarnj

Kari Voutilanen's Chronometer 27 is an unusually-shaped white gold case showing off a regulator-style layout, designed to suit the rectangular form of an old Observatory class movement made by Longines.

Watches with such ne plus ultra movements typically boast exceptional accuracy, but of course this exceptional watchmaker had to give it an extra touch of subtle sophistication.

He combined two techniques to define his balance spring like no other: the well-known Breguet overcoil found in the finest wrist-watches, and also a lesser-known technique known as the Grosman curve for the internal curvature of the balance spring.

021notroundbutnotsquarexg7.jpg

If rectangular is the shape you go for, take a look at the 2008 version of Piaget's Emperador watch. It carries the logo at 12 o'clock, in addition to the line's signature rectangular sub-seconds dial and fan-shaped power reserve indicator.

Tissot Sculpture is the ideal dress watch for the man who prefers something different from the usual round case. This auto watch with big date is presented in a striking combination of 18-carat rose gold and a textured black dial.

rogerdubuiskingsquaretn1.jpg

OK, this next one is square, but the case is cambered at three angles as well. Roger Dubuis' King Square combines rubber, gold and titanium with a folding buckle in handsome fashion.

Hi,

I especially like the Tissot Sculpture because I love the tonneau shape.

A couple of my favs in terms of unusually shaped creations are the Gerald Genta Success, and the Roger Dubuis Sympathie. Both of which have been recently ripped by the likes of Invicta (and others) which makes it a shame that it isn't produced in admirable replica quality (the likes of the new Ebel 1911's). Then, there's the Daniel Roth. (Papillon shown, but nearly all of his watches have this unique shape).

When I see watches like this, it makes me think about the process of replicas coming to market, that there must be significant demand. I wonder if it will ever be possible to bring the production of replicas to the level where you can spot a piece and have it custom made for you, without so many being made. Of course, that might undercut one of the basic tenets of purchasing reps in the first place (the price point) since if you get a piece such as the above (or below) made, it ain't gonna be cheap.

Nice Post,

Coda

post-15987-1220272964_thumb.jpg

post-15987-1220272975_thumb.jpg

post-15987-1220273255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Codammanus-2014