When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Disabling Minute Counter on PAM250 Daylight

jleong

Hi All...

I can't seem to find a topic like this being discussed before.. So far with all the posts that I have read, the 7750 case/dial/bezel are closer to gen than the 7753 version. However, to me.. the biggest thing that bugs me with the 7750 250 is the sunken datewheel... It just bugs the *&^% out of me.

I've been thinking about all the ways that I could possibly fix this.

1. install 7753 movement... however these movements are rare and the easiest way would be to buy a 7753 based 250 and use the movement from there.

2. Modified Datewheel..... however there are gears above the datewheel which is why the datewheel is sunken in the first place.

I was wondering this..

Is it possible to disable the minute counter at 3 and hence remove the plates/gears.. and as a result move the datewheel closes to the dial? I figure... I just about never use the chrono... if anything.. just when I am bored and want to play with the watch... furthermore.. we really shoudn't be using it on the A 7750s anyway.

Has anyone tried this? And does it fix the sunken datewheel problem.

Thanks in advance.

Well, if you are going to install a 7753 movement you will also need a dial. And unless you have access to a 7753 movement it is often cheaper to simply buy a 7753 based watch. I wouldn't recommend dismantling the gears so you can move the datewheel closer. If you gum up your movement along the way you will be right back where you started. And you still have an improperly placed and sized date window. IMHO, the placement and sizing of the datewheel/window is just as big a flaw as the sunken element of it. :)

To make the datewheel closer to the dial requires that you remove the gears and the spacer ring. Once you do this and install the dial, you will have fixed the sunken datewheel...the dial is closer to the datewheel becasue the movement is now thinner...

But, since you made the movement thinner and removed a spacer ring, once you insert the movement into the case, it will sit deeper in the case, which means that the stem will be out of alignment by the same thickness of the spacer ring you took out... the stem to movement alignment is critical and must be perfect to avoid problems.

You can't install a 7753 either because all the ETA 775X series are the same thickness, so you will have the same problem with stem alignment, as well as the date window in the dial will be in the wrong place, etc...

I recommend you live with what you have, or buy a 7753 powered model.

RG

Thanks guys for all the answers

I have been reading that if I wanted the A7750 to have any life in it... I should play around with the chrono.

I guess if The Zigmeister says its okay... then :)

But for now... I will have to live with the sunken wheel until I can find a 7753 based 250 or 196. I've seen a few get sold recently here.. so will keep my eyes peeled for the next one.

Thanks again guys....

I run every work day morning about 4 miles with my blackbird seconds at 3 with the chrono going, or my speed master (no there is a joke) no problems, as long as the hands are on tight and there is only two ways to find out and the other is to take it apart, you should have no problems.