When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

graphite fix for IWC

kirtley

Very.. you need watch maker experience and appropriate tools. Its definitely not something you should attempt as a first step. It involves removing the hands and dial, stripping and cleaning the front part of the movement, graphite treating parts and re-assembling.

There are a couple of good write ups on the process and the 7750 movement in general here on the forum.

Well, I just pulled it off recently (had some trouble getting the bezel off originally...the trick is to use a nice and strong knife so it doesn't just bend and it'll be able to push the bezel, but it has to be sharp too...I ended up chipping my swiss army knife blade because it was too sharp to use! Ended up getting it off using my bottle opener's wine foil knife)...and while the graphite job wasn't too bad I had already bought an ultrasonic cleaner, plus molybedenum (better than graphite) and teflon powder (might skip this if I had to do it over...teflon is just too clumpy so if I put any in again I'd probably mix it like 4/5 moly and 1/5 teflon).

Anyways, just remember to properly unlock the dial to remove it (there's 2 dial locks), and be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY careful with the dial and watch hands. Unfortunately I managed to scrape up the minute counter subdial (because I put the subdial hands too low) and also managed to snap the minute hand at the last minute (mostly because I accidentally hit it when I was putting another hand on...argh). Mind you, I had successfully put the watch back together but I had taken the bezel off to adjust the hands since they weren't right.

So...anyways, it's doable but just be REALLY careful and realize that you're risking damage to the watch. Personally I don't mind too much since I'm probably going to replace both the dial and hands (since I'm a little disappointed with how the rep hour markers are basically just plugged into little sockets, and I kinda want a different color dial).

Anyhow, if you don't want to invest in a ton of watch tools and still risk damaging the watch pretty badly I'd probably just pay someone else to do it. I bought a ton of watch tools, an ultrasonic cleaner, etc. just to do it and I still managed to screw the hands up afterwards. Technically I pulled off the graphite job without issue but going back to adjust the hands did me in (it would have been a very simple adjustment...except when I was taking the bezel off again I did it too hurriedly and the bezel went FLYING and the shock took the subdial hands off...and trying to get those back on lead to more and more problems).

But if you want to do it yourself I'd suggest at least owning the following:

GOOD set of hand pressers (the one I own SUCKS and are largely to blame for my f'ing up the hands)

Presto or knockoff hand lifter (I used a cheap knockoff but it did the job ok)

Some post it notes to protect the dial when using the hand lifter

Rodico putty (mostly used to pick up those watch hands to put them back on)

Graphite (duh) or Molybdenum powder

Something to open the bezel with if you have a newer IWC portuguese

Something thin and strong to pry open the little dial locks with...I used my watch tweezer and just hooked the top into the little dial lock hooks

The hardest part of the entire operation is probably setting the hands correctly so that none of them hit each other...and obviously not damaging the dial or breaking any hands in the process.

Edited by techd

Later this week i'll get my IWC Ingenieur chrono back from my watchmaker who did the graphite-threatment on my loveley watch. Form what i understand from it, let a professional do the thing... you should enjoy wearing it ;)

Haha, yeah if you just want to own and wear watches it's probably better just to let a pro do it...the only reason I bought all that stuff wasn't because it'd be cheaper or anything (it definitely isn't cheaper) but just because I want to work on watches. So unless you want to mess around with watches I'd suggest just paying someone else since it's honestly not very cost effective.

Well, I just pulled it off recently (had some trouble getting the bezel off originally...the trick is to use a nice and strong knife so it doesn't just bend and it'll be able to push the bezel, but it has to be sharp too...I ended up chipping my swiss army knife blade because it was too sharp to use! Ended up getting it off using my bottle opener's wine foil knife)...and while the graphite job wasn't too bad I had already bought an ultrasonic cleaner, plus molybedenum (better than graphite) and teflon powder (might skip this if I had to do it over...teflon is just too clumpy so if I put any in again I'd probably mix it like 4/5 moly and 1/5 teflon).

Anyways, just remember to properly unlock the dial to remove it (there's 2 dial locks), and be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY careful with the dial and watch hands. Unfortunately I managed to scrape up the minute counter subdial (because I put the subdial hands too low) and also managed to snap the minute hand at the last minute (mostly because I accidentally hit it when I was putting another hand on...argh). Mind you, I had successfully put the watch back together but I had taken the bezel off to adjust the hands since they weren't right.

So...anyways, it's doable but just be REALLY careful and realize that you're risking damage to the watch. Personally I don't mind too much since I'm probably going to replace both the dial and hands (since I'm a little disappointed with how the rep hour markers are basically just plugged into little sockets, and I kinda want a different color dial).

Anyhow, if you don't want to invest in a ton of watch tools and still risk damaging the watch pretty badly I'd probably just pay someone else to do it. I bought a ton of watch tools, an ultrasonic cleaner, etc. just to do it and I still managed to screw the hands up afterwards. Technically I pulled off the graphite job without issue but going back to adjust the hands did me in (it would have been a very simple adjustment...except when I was taking the bezel off again I did it too hurriedly and the bezel went FLYING and the shock took the subdial hands off...and trying to get those back on lead to more and more problems).

But if you want to do it yourself I'd suggest at least owning the following:

GOOD set of hand pressers (the one I own SUCKS and are largely to blame for my f'ing up the hands)

Presto or knockoff hand lifter (I used a cheap knockoff but it did the job ok)

Some post it notes to protect the dial when using the hand lifter

Rodico putty (mostly used to pick up those watch hands to put them back on)

Graphite (duh) or Molybdenum powder

Something to open the bezel with if you have a newer IWC portuguese

Something thin and strong to pry open the little dial locks with...I used my watch tweezer and just hooked the top into the little dial lock hooks

The hardest part of the entire operation is probably setting the hands correctly so that none of them hit each other...and obviously not damaging the dial or breaking any hands in the process.

Hmmmm Hell fire - since i have fat fingers im thinking it may be best for a pro to do - not sure where id find one thought im in- thanks for the advise though at least ive got an idea of the process. thanks very much.

Matt

• 5 months later...

I'll admit I'm a complete noob here; I've never had any of my watches serviced, as most of them are quite cheap.

Does having a movement "serviced" mean complete disassembly of the watch and movement, cleaning the parts, oiling, and reassembly? If so, there's a very high chance for the watchmaker to damage the watch/dial/hands too, esp. with the rep hands being so fragile and the watchmaker may not have experience working on rep watches.

My other thought is, if a watchmaker is willing to service our rep with 7750 sec@6, it might be the best time to have the graphite applied? since the hardest part in this whole procedure doesn't lie in applying the graphite but in removing the dial and hands without damaging them.

• 4 months later...
Later this week i'll get my IWC Ingenieur chrono back from my watchmaker who did the graphite-threatment on my loveley watch. Form what i understand from it, let a professional do the thing... you should enjoy wearing it ;)

Yellomen, it's been around 9 months since you had the graphite treatment... how is that specific layout on the Ingenieur Chrono holding up? And how was it before the treatment? I hope it's good news! :D