When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep friendly local watch service

adrenalin

Greetings all,

I have a question for the forum. I realize that there are many, many more watches out there than The Zigmeister, or any of the other resident experts could possibly service, lume, AR, regulate etc, etc... in a series of lifetimes. So this begets the question...what do the rest of you guys do for basic PM? I don't posess a degree in horology (though I am tempted after being here) otherwise I would attempt some of these things myself. Problem is, I hate to ruin something that isn't really broken, due solely to my ignorance. So, how do you guys choose a local watchsmith? Im not stupid enough to go to an AD, but as I have tried to inquire to some smaller 'mom and pop' shops with mixed results. Nobody has inspired me with confidence enought to leave one of my watches with them. One basically told me they would confiscate any rep they came across. So aside from mailing off to one of our own rep-friendly guys and waiting many, many months for somthing basic (non-mods)... Whats a guy to do? Is there a secret password and a super-secret handshake? I live in the south west CONUS, and didnt think it would be that big of a deal to find somebody. Aparently I am mistaken. Any input would be apreciated!

Thanks,

-K

Well, first I google "watch repair" and "[my city]" then I filter out all the crappy quartz battery repair places. Then I check out a few of them. The best is a small shop (NOT in a mall, Malls are horrible, only good for straps/batteries). The small shop should only have a few people, and preferably not deal with expensive swiss watches.

The place I found, I went in, described a problem with the watch, then I said, "I know it's a fake, but it's one of my favorites." The guy said no problem and fixed it as if it were a gen (it was a rep moon watch, and the minutes hand fell off the pinion and slid around).

You have to tell them from the beginning, dont want them to open it up and find out.

Call first and talk to them.

In person, you can always start out by pleading ignorance, that it was a gift or you won it in a card game and just want to have the watch inspected. Gauge their reactions and analysis.

Then perhaps try them on some simple service and get a feel for their capabilities that way before handing over your favorite rep for a full overhaul.

I've had good luck with a local independent who professed admiration for the quality of some reps that he has seen (though another member I pointed in his direction was less satisfied with his service on both a rep and a gen. I need to send him a message to see how that situation turned out.)

try jewelry exchanges - look for a watchmaker that is hungry - and needs some work.

I ask them if they will work on ETA / swiss / other high end rep watches - usually they will say no - because people get mad that it costs 100$ to fix - when they paid $60 for a watch. make sure to tell them you understand its just as expensive to work on a rep as it is a gen - and you can even tell them you maybe able to source the parts if there are needed parts for a repair.

build a relationship start out by just asking for simple things - change hands, pop out a crystal - don't go in and say, this is broken, not sure whats wrong :)

build up a trust then ask him to do more difficult things