When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Rolex submariner is running great while it's lying on my desk...

Watchout

I am assuming you tried winding the watch to be sure the mainspring is fully charged? If not, manually wind it 40 turns & then see how it runs.

Gravity & the movement's location in space can affect its running. This is why many movements are advertised as being 'Tested in x number of positions'.

A properly running watch movement should keep accurate time with the dial up (the position your watch is probably in when you are not wearing it), the dial facing down, the dial facing sideways with the crown pointing up, the dial facing sideways with the crown pointing down, etc. A poorly designed or maintained movement may run properly in 1 position, but run badly (or not at all) in another. Your watch appears to fall into the latter category & may require servicing. Probably nothing major (clean/lube), but it is not something that you can fix yourself (unless you have the proper tools & knowledge to disassemble, clean, lube & reassemble your watch).