When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My self-made vintage Angelus 6152

Clint Eastwood

How????!!!!

The amount of work that has gone into this is incredible. Getting the movement to fit the case is challenging, removing the text from the case back is a horrible task, but the dial?! Having made vintage dials myself (not by hand - which makes this even more amazing), I'm amazed at the quality of the work, the resin-filled numerals and the colour matching on the dial. Matching the colour of the dial is something that I never expected to be so challenging - is this one painted, oxidised or have you used a different process?

I'm looking forwards to seeing the other watches - it might persuade me to get around to finishing off all of the unfinished projects in my drawer!

How????!!!!

The amount of work that has gone into this is incredible. Getting the movement to fit the case is challenging, removing the text from the case back is a horrible task, but the dial?! Having made vintage dials myself (not by hand - which makes this even more amazing), I'm amazed at the quality of the work, the resin-filled numerals and the colour matching on the dial. Matching the colour of the dial is something that I never expected to be so challenging - is this one painted, oxidised or have you used a different process?

I'm looking forwards to seeing the other watches - it might persuade me to get around to finishing off all of the unfinished projects in my drawer!

Thanks RM,

It's right that it was a hard work to do this one, but when you know how do something, it will take less time when you do it again; i think that do an other one will take 2 or 3 time less when i will build the next egiziano.

it's not as complicated as you think, just need a lot of time to find the correct process for each part of the work.

As for remove the text of case back and polish it and vintage it, 1 hour is enough.

Slim case and lugs and vintage it, less than 3hours.

Make springbars, less than 1h30 ...

The dial will take more time;first disasemble the two parts, after i sand it a little, after i paint the MM, after i polish it a little, after i do the resin-filled, after a little of matt varnish and little polishing on some place like midlle of dial and around the numerals; vintage the color of the markers is easy by a little of paint, just hard to do a color like the one you think.

The real hard job is to put this so thick movement correctly in the case and in good place for the hole of the winding stem, but now all is ok :D

Edited by Clint Eastwood

Strangely, I never had a problem with the movement height. I've no idea where it came from, but I have a 47mm case that when used with a 0.75mm thick dial, allows the Angelus to be dropped in with no issues (even the stem is aligned, and the case back fits!). A brass spacer ring and away we go! I'm sure I won't be so lucky on the next one.

To clarify, is this a off-the-shelf dial that has been sanded, engraved and painted - I've probably missed something, but I'm still unsure of how you've done it!

I sand the dial for two reasons : first, to be a little less darker before use the varnish with aerograph, and second for remove the little excess of paint who is off the text on the dial;

You will be very lucky if your case feet correctly the movement without any mods; i have 3 different case from 3 dealers, inside size is different on each one, even some dial are too small for some case.

now i will do the new post with the 3646... :D

Edited by Clint Eastwood

Just do some morre close up pics with my dad camera :

On gen vintage, sometime the plastic/resin protect of the luminor or radium material have little cracks on it due to it age, so here a close up of the dial to show the "cracks" on the plastic on the 6 marker , this was hard to do; i have do the same on the 3 marker, and on the 1 hour marker; not all markers need to be cracked :

Angeluscu1.jpg

A side pic showing the big crown guard, the heigh of the plexi, and the thick springbars :

Angeluscu2.jpg

and two pics of the Angelus 240 to show his condition today who is very very nice :

Angeluscu3.jpg

Angeluscu4.jpg

I will post some close up of my others vintages projects in the next days;

Enjoy!!!:D

Are you doing this work only for yourself or are you thinking about making these to sell or doing commissioned work?

i thinking of this, because all the request i have receive in the lasts weeks, but :

I do this one for me, not for sale, it's ofr this reason that i take all the time i need and do all this very specials mods. I will do an other one in the next month ; probably for me; because i have an other 240 and i want a little egiziano.

Make one for sale ? some members ask me for this; so maybe yes, but what can be the price for it ? because with all the mods i do, it's a very long work and price will be big .

Doing commissioned work ? i think yes if the buyer provide me the parts i need, but their will be always the matter of price, maybe more for exchange with vintage parts or watches (only gen) ?

• 3 weeks later...

I keep returning to all this posts about selfmade Vintage Panerai...I am really impressed by the skills some of you have...especially to members that are managing to install the Angelus to fit perfectly the case and dial...doing your own parts...I can only imagine how much hard work has been put into to manage to achieve this fantastic results...once again congrats and bump for this post...