When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A View Of The El 187 Crystal

watcher

Here are pics of the crystal now fitted back in. It has a blue/purple tinit but chnages to a greenish hue when under bright sunlight and halogens. Claritiy is superb now. In full sunlight it gives the appearance of no crystal being there it is so crisp. Reflection is now reduced to 0.4% down from around 4% before coating which is more than enough to create heavy reflection.

95814-27325.jpg

95814-27326.jpg

95814-27327.jpg

95814-27328.jpg

Nice! What was the turnaround and cost in the end? Did you take in personally?

BTW, your 187 is from Ken right? That fat datewheel font is unmistakeable (sigh...)

That's not one of Honpo's - the lume is different as well as a few other things and Honpo's would not need coating as it already is!! It looks like the makers have sourced the correct datewheel. The Paneristi reference is talking about their ideal fantasy watches which is why the guy is saying he would have a coating on both sides. All the gens I have seen are only coated on the inside although the newer coatings are much more scratch resistant than they were. On all mine I have gone for inside only as that's the way they are!!

The datewheel is a modification done by me.

I stripped the watch down and removed the extra chrono gear as I don't care about using the chrono anyway. I then applied a spare datewheel with good prinitng from my broken PAM50 and stuck it over the EL wheel which also raised it nearer to the dial. I then modified the gear so it cleared the datewheel which is why they do not sit near the dial as the extra gears work the 3 subdial. I built the watch back up to what you see today. More visually accurate in my opinion. :)

This watch will be a test to see how durable the exterior finish is and whether I get only the inside done next time around.