When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hi Guys

OldBrit

Back in the early 80's I was waiting for a flight to depart from Heathrow when I looked at my watch; damn it was broken. I picked up a Guy Laroche quartz from the duty free shop and 25 years later I was still wearing it.

Last year I went to adjust it for daylight saving time and the crown fell off; I had worn it down to nothing. Maybe time for a new watch I thought. I had a new crown fitted and went in search of a new watch. After checking out the hundreds of regular watches offered by Sears, Kohls etc I realized that I didn't like any of them. That's when I got the rep bug.

My little collection now has a mixture of automatic and quartz movements. I wear the auto's for work and the quartz ones at the weekends for golf, cycling, yard work etc.

Latest acquisition is a Hublot fully ceramic in black with 7750.

I also have a collection of about 25 antique clocks which drives my wife crazy. I do all my own clock repairs but have steered clear of watch repairs primarily because my eyesight is [censored] these days. I did however manufacture a new click for the fugee of a friends pocketwatch; which was no mean feat.

OldBrit

Back in the early 80's I was waiting for a flight to depart from Heathrow when I looked at my watch; damn it was broken. I picked up a Guy Laroche quartz from the duty free shop and 25 years later I was still wearing it.

Last year I went to adjust it for daylight saving time and the crown fell off; I had worn it down to nothing. Maybe time for a new watch I thought. I had a new crown fitted and went in search of a new watch. After checking out the hundreds of regular watches offered by Sears, Kohls etc I realized that I didn't like any of them. That's when I got the rep bug.

My little collection now has a mixture of automatic and quartz movements. I wear the auto's for work and the quartz ones at the weekends for golf, cycling, yard work etc.

Latest acquisition is a Hublot fully ceramic in black with 7750.

I also have a collection of about 25 antique clocks which drives my wife crazy. I do all my own clock repairs but have steered clear of watch repairs primarily because my eyesight is [censored] these days. I did however manufacture a new click for the fugee of a friends pocketwatch; which was no mean feat.

OldBrit

Hi OldBrit,

I'm a newie to the Reps as well. I have a Genuine Omega Seamaster and a Tag Link but I want to have some fun with some good honest Replicas.

My first "want" is a good ol' Rlex Sub - Black Dial/Bezel in S.S. Can you recommend and reputable sites or sellers??

All the ususal one's that come in a Gogle search are mostly scammers according the guys in this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing as you gave bought before.

cheers

Jim (Jimmy T)

Hey Jim,

From what I've figured out you do, indeed, need to stay away from most of the websites out there in the public domain. The dealers listed here are constantly being reviewed by the hard core members and so you would be well advised to buy from them. My advise (for whats it worth!) is decide the exact spec of the watch you are interested in and then contact a couple of the dealers; Rudy and Silix seem to have some of the best feedback, however, I'm sure the others are fine. Price can vary dramatically. Some dealers drop ship, which can be a negative. Some dealers can also be slow to reply to your emails. I don't know what the customs situation is in AUS but you need to be assured that they take the responsibility of customs seizure.

If you're looking for something special or specific then contact one of the admin or regular contributors and ask them. Providing you don't come over as a bumbling idiot I'm sure they would be more than happy to point you in the right direction; it's a complement to their knowledge and experience.

Automatic movements are great if you're turned on by things mechanical but in reality quartz is fine. It's a personal thing in my opinion. How many asian 7750's will still be running strong in 25 yrs time?

OldBrit

Hey Jim,

From what I've figured out you do, indeed, need to stay away from most of the websites out there in the public domain. The dealers listed here are constantly being reviewed by the hard core members and so you would be well advised to buy from them. My advise (for whats it worth!) is decide the exact spec of the watch you are interested in and then contact a couple of the dealers; Rudy and Silix seem to have some of the best feedback, however, I'm sure the others are fine. Price can vary dramatically. Some dealers drop ship, which can be a negative. Some dealers can also be slow to reply to your emails. I don't know what the customs situation is in AUS but you need to be assured that they take the responsibility of customs seizure.

If you're looking for something special or specific then contact one of the admin or regular contributors and ask them. Providing you don't come over as a bumbling idiot I'm sure they would be more than happy to point you in the right direction; it's a complement to their knowledge and experience.

Automatic movements are great if you're turned on by things mechanical but in reality quartz is fine. It's a personal thing in my opinion. How many asian 7750's will still be running strong in 25 yrs time?

OldBrit

Thanks for getting back so fast OldBrit,

I'm in Australia and feel so remote down here that my first buy is making me feel a little "nervy" if you know what I mean,

I'll take your advice, do my homework and ask the admin guys on here before I press the Yes button.

I have a bit of a thing for Auto's but a $16.00 dollar quartz Tag ladies I bought my wife 10 years ago is still keeping as god a time as the

Quartz Seiko Diver I have. (Even my Automatic Genuine Omega Seamaster drifts a few seconds a day)

Again, thanks so much for you advice, this forim is a real find!

cheers from Downunder

Jim (Jimmy T)

Welcome Oldbrit and Jimmy T, nice to see a new member offering advice to other new members i think you will fit right in here. As to the A7750 working in 25 years, well if it is correctly serviced from new and then at regular intervals there is no reason why not, i doubt that a swiss 7750 will still be working in 25 years if it was never serviced.

We all know of rolex movements still going strong after a number of years but with out servicing when they do stop it is often for good or very expensive.