When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

From the golden age of american pocket watches

southcoast68

Hi all

Recently, my mom has passed down to me and my brother some family artifacts that have been kept put away. My brother got my grandfathers gold ruby ring amongst some other antique jewelry items. My mom knowing I collect timepieces, figured I would take good care of these, and so I was presented with the following box.

Treasure1.jpg

The box is obviously not original, it was just a good place to keep these;

Treasure2.jpg

The group shot;

Treasure3.jpg

First is a small size pocket watch with what looks like a home made embroidered band of some sort. This was my mom's when she was a girl. I cannot determine the maker as the name on the dial is hard to read, but it may be swiss. It does not work, and the crown does not turn, so I cannot position the hands to better read whats printed on the dial. Can anyone here identify this watch??

Treasure4.jpg

Treasure5.jpg

Treasure6.jpg

Second is my grandmother's watch, a mid-sized Waltham in a beautiful 14k gold case with her initials engraved on the back. The dial is perfect as is the blued hands, and the case is also in great shape. It does not work, but the crown turns and the hands can be adjusted. Its movement is beautifully decorated.

Treasure7.jpg

Treasure8.jpg

Treasure9.jpg

Last is my grandfather's watch, a beautiful Elgin full size pocket watch in a gold filled Wadsworth screw back case (which states on the inside back cover "Warranted 25 years" ;) ). There is some dirt under the crystal but is in otherwise great shape. Sadly it also does not run, but the crown turns and the hands are adjustable. I took a couple extra shots of this one since the movement decoration is incredible. Fine printing of Elgin National Watch Co. in old-english style lettering and the cyclonic pattern on the gears as well as the decorations on the plates make this a joy to have even if it does not work.

Treasure10.jpg

Treasure11.jpg

Treasure12.jpg

Treasure13.jpg

All three still have their crystals intact and someday they will be telling time once again. Thanks for looking.

Cheers B)