When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Long term expectations of your reps?

whitestripes

Some of the reps I have purchased have cost several hundred dollars each, and my expectation is that with proper care and maintenence, these watches will last a lifetime. They should, as a gen Seiko or Bulova watch will and can be had for the same prices as some of our reps.

All the reps which are kept in my collection are for long term use, not for show or 'a bit of fun'. My grail automatic watch, the MBK Nautilus will definitely be regularly serviced and I intend for it to last many many years.

Any others which are in my definite collection, I will get a new movement when the currrent craps out, and either install it myself (I'm practicing) or have it installed.

I like this method of collecting as it ensures I will enjoy all my watches (as I'm only going to keep the ones that get regular wrist time) and keep the collection nice and compact. Not to mention the amount of money I will save. Some folks on here have got money to burn literally, buying reps left right and centre :p

As said above...if you like the rep...wear it until it dies. Some can be considered disposable...others like the uber-Frankens obviously not.

Can a rep be serviced? All reps can be serviced...but like others have said, The Zigmeister included, some are just not worth it. A DG2813 asian movement is not worth servicing when a new movement can be had for $12. Is it even worth swapping out an Asian movement? At $12 + $50 service fee for a $100 brand new Noob with no wear and tear or scratches...you do your math.

On an A7750 movement watch, serviced properly can run indefinitely. At $240 for proper servicing for a $240 watch, is it worth it? That depends on you. A serviced movement will be reliable for likely 5 years and beyond. A rep unserviced is a crap shoot.

On an expensive super rep like a $1000 HBB, or even the $400 (with shipping) Ebels and the like, getting a replacement of the watch may be difficult...so servicing, or genuine ETA swap may be worth it for you, if you want that piece in your collection over the long term.

You have to decide of you want the piece to be operational over the long term...or if it's just a daily beater.

The same logic applies to a gen. Would you pay $3000+ for a gen watch, knowing that to have it last, you need to spend $200 - $600 (depending on who you go to) every 5 years to maintain it? You could wear it into the ground unserviced, but that will prematurely wreck the watch. If you had an expensive sports car, you wouldn't do that...why should a watch be any different? You should maintain it, if you want to keep it.

If you REALLY like the rep...get it serviced and ensure it can live a long life. While we have people like The Zigmeister, I'm happy to get things serviced. I mourn the day when he is no longer accepting pieces from anybody...really, what will happen 5 years down the line when I need the next servicing?

I just got a piece back from The Zigmeister and to those who are wondering what benefit servicing does...believe me, you can really feel the difference in the movement:

• Rotor is silent
  • Winding is solid and smooth (just like my gens)
  • Time setting is smooth...no looseness in the hands at all
  • Overall feel of the watch is much improved

There seem to be new people popping up who service reps... there is a guy named Rex over on RG who has good prices... tho I have no idea about the quality...

i don't get it.... as long as the Chinese keep replicating movements with improvements to their tolerances and quality.... whats the big deal?

lets see, i can already go on eBay and find a replacement movement for ANY of my watches... and the more reps = the more parts...

this has been beaten to death already...

i don't get it.... as long as the Chinese keep replicating movements with improvements to their tolerances and quality.... whats the big deal?

lets see, i can already go on eBay and find a replacement movement for ANY of my watches... and the more reps = the more parts...

this has been beaten to death already...

It might have been discussed, and I'm still searching the Forum for answers, but the problem that I have (and maybe others too) is that in my part of UK, there are only 2 independent watch repairers, and neither will touch reps. The main dealers won't, of course, so I am stuck if anything goes wrong with a watch. It might be a simple problem, but I have no idea (my technical skills just about run to lighting a match ;) ), so what do I do - junk the watch?

As a Newbie, what would help me in addition to the 'Trusted Dealer' information is a similar list of trusted watch repairers who do good work (service, relume, swap movements, etc.). There might be one somewhere on the Forum, but as I said, I'm trawling, and haven't found anything yet! Any pointers will be very welcome.