When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Observations about pre-V cases...

mjmurphy926

So now that I have a set of FGD's sweet ass dials coming, I'm trying to put together a case set that would be as accurate as possible with what's currently available.

Let's start with the case back. It would seem like there a couple different of case backs used on the Gen 201a. Each one greatly resembles a different rep offering. I will compare the 2 Gens I have seen with reps from Trusty Andrew and DSN.

Gen #1:

gen_201a_caseback_1.jpg

Andrew's:

trusty_201a_caseback.jpg

Gen #2:

gen_201a_caseback_2.jpg

DSN's:

DSN_201a_caseback.jpg

Now, let's discuss the pre -V case and the standard rep case. I've seen it stated on these boards that the standard rep case's lugs are too long and narrow as compared to the Gen pre-V case lugs which are shorter and fatter. I'm not so sure. I think a lot of this theory is based on pictures of both cases, or more prcisely, the angle of these pictures.

Here is a profile shot of a Gen 201a:

gen_201a_profile_1.jpg

And now a shot from a similar angle of my standard rep case:

IMG_3577_edit_small-1.jpg

I think the lugs in the above picture look a lot like the "stubby" lugs people associate with pre-V cases. I also think that this is due, at least in part, to the angle of the picture.

Here are a couple shots of the same standard rep case where the lugs appear to be longer and narrower:

IMG_5297_edit_small.jpg

IMG_5305_small.jpg

Another piece of evidence that may support this is the Officine Panerai drawing that I'm sure many of you have seen. I'm not sure how accurate the drawing is, but the lugs look pretty long and narrow.

PANERAI-5218-201A_small.jpg

As far as the CG goes, I think the best solution is the V CG. All the above rep shots are of my standard rep with the V CG installed. I think it compares very nicely to the Gen CG in the above profile shot.

The last thing I want to talk about is the crystal. I believe the gen has sapphire with no AR. The only source I am aware of for sapphire crystals for this case is DSN. You can even order one without AR. It's a great crystal, but there is one thing about it that differs from the shots I've seen of gen crystals; that's the fact that it is made of high quality "pink" sapphire.

Here is a profile shot of my DSN crystal installed in my standard rep case before I sent it off to chieftang for AR. Note - This shot is before I installed the V CG:

IMG_0869_edit_small.jpg

One more shot:

IMG_0874_edit_small.jpg

Notice the pink hue to the crystal? I don't think the Gen is like this, but I'll probably use one of these anyway since I don't have another source for sapphire crystals.

So, I think my starting point for the case will be to buy this from Andrew:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...87e9fd473624cce

This should be the standard rep case and it has the above pictured case back.

Any thoughts or comments?

Note - All the above rep shots were taken by me and are the same standard rep case. This case came from Trusty Andrew on his $158 111h.

Thanks,

Mike

So, I think my starting point for the case will be to buy this from Andrew:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...87e9fd473624cce

This should be the standard rep case and it has the above pictured case back.

that watch is not available. i was trying to put together an accurate case and had to buy a 111 from trusty. i don't know how accurate is this but the 111 was the only available (no 005 and nothing base).

any other suggestion?

thnx!

Great post Mike

The 111 case you show looks very good ...with the exception of the strap dimple which is the leas obvious element by far (now 2 screw lug bars are in the pipe!)

The square corners where the lugs meet and slightly "fatter" profile are the other defining features ......the gen may even be slightly thicker.

I've pinched some images V posted in the Best Pre-V Case thread.

IMG_5297_edit_small.jpg

PAM88 (up) and 5218-201/A (down)

dsc03-1.jpg

dsc03-2.jpg

V's CG is the best of course and I do think the T-60 crown is by far the best ever functionally and cosmetically regardless of teeth!!!

DSN's new caseback is acceptable in my book,

I think you'll struggle on the 201/A on TT's site ...this is well gone discontinued.....maybe I-offer ?

Best of luck

FGD

I think you'll struggle on the 201/A on TT's site ...this is well gone discontinued.....maybe I-offer ?

that watch is not available. i was trying to put together an accurate case and had to buy a 111 from trusty. i don't know how accurate is this but the 111 was the only available (no 005 and nothing base).

Damnit!! I hate when they do that!! When a watch is no longer available, TAKE IT DOWN OFF THE SITE!!

OK...I feel much better.

Thanks to all for the kind words. Looks like I'll have to settle for the DSN case back.

OH...What do you all think about this movement?

wwwofreicom-6497bluesc.jpg

Will I have to remove the seconds sub dial gear?

Thanks again,

Mike

good info. I would lose that sandwich dial given your case and CG are so nice. Get a sausage dial instead. Or maybe it's your plan. Just my 2 cents.

-bk

Thanks bk...Actually I was considering a DSN 113 dial.

I originally picked the 111 because I wanted a Black dialed watch and a display back watch, and the 111h fit the bill. But now that I'll be building a 201a, that will be my black dial, so for the display back, I may just go with a white dial. I believe the DSN 113 is a pretty good dial...Unless anybody has a differing opinion???