When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Vs Gen - What's The Point?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's odd that this should come up.

I am currently working in Taiwan. Yesterday, I was talking to a friend about having a watch custom built. This friend builds those TW watches that aren't built in Taiwan (everyone seems to think they are built in Mainland China). My question was about having a watch put together from parts I select with a 'no name' or 'bogus name' dial.

I want the styling and the quality, but I don't want the potential customs hassles.

So, why do I buy Reps? Because the same level of quality isn't available from a 'name brand' for anywhere near the same money.

I can buy a rep sub with an ETA movement here for about what you guys are paying when you order from one of our dealers. I can't walk into an AD and buy a stainless steel watch with sapphire crystal and ETA movement for anywhere the same money.

I have a genuine Hamilton X-Wind on my arm at the moment. It has a 7750 movement in it. This is an ETA 7750 with a beautiful finish. I didn't buy the Hamilton so people would see a Hamilton on my arm. I bought the watch because it had a good 7750 movement and it wasn't a great deal more than a rep of something else with that same movement.

I buy reps because I like the cosmetics/design and I want a good movement in them. I cannot approach a similar 'open market' watch at the price of a rep.

I'm not out to deceive anyone because I don't care what they think of my watch. I have to like it. No one else does.

Bill.

So, why do I buy Reps? Because the same level of quality isn't available from a 'name brand' for anywhere near the same money.

I guess I have to ask what that ultimately means. Tissot or Seiko will sell you auto dive watches that are well built and much better in terms of out of the box function (e.g. water resistance) than rep dive watches, at the same price or much less. As with your Hamilton, even Swiss Valjoux 7750's can be had for basically the same price as reps using the same movement. And that's even while supporting a dealer network, offering a warranty and paying taxes and complying with employment/manufacturing standards. I suppose you will say those aren't 'name brands' but then the catch-22 is that if Rolex and Omega started selling Subs and SMP's at $300, they would be perceived as low-prestige watches and people would just knock off something else. So it's self-defeating for those companies to go downmarket, even for the consumers who desire them. It does seem to come down to getting perceived as more expensive without paying that money, what you're describing is not necessarily a quality/function issue as I see it.

Why do you buy these things?

Bill

Vintages! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

A bit over two years ago, I was introduced by members at the old RWG and TRC to rollie vintage sports watches and a certain manufacturer that produced these very special pieces with amazing matte dials & 1:1 cases. While the movements are not on par with the quality of the gens, the three that I am fortunate to own are very accurate time keepers and have been as reliable as any gen I have owned. Install a few OEM parts, and these will transform into very, very special & rare time keepers with style to match.

I agree that clones are a fantastic way to experience the watch prior to making a long term commitment with the rather expensive gen. Several members on our forums have purchased the gen after having lived the rep for an extended period of time and I'm sure they are very happy with their decision(s). B)

Regards,

Jet

Edited by Jetsons