When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the best method to clean a dial of fingerprints/dirt?

DemonSlayer

Apart from Rodico, are there any other good methods to clean a dial of fingerprints and dirt/dust etc.

I just recently completed my first ever real mod. I ruined 2 movements and 2 dials in the process :o but I must say, I am feeling very satisfied :p Learnt a lot of things doing this and I must say it does feel good after you've completed a project :)

Yes toadtorrent, unfortunately the biggest mistake I made was not wearing anything over my fingers, neither surgical gloves or the finger cots. The dials wouldn't be in the condition that they are in if I had worn either of the two. Looks like surgical gloves are next on my list :)

finger cots are fine...make sure if you get gloves they are powder free!!

How about cleaning the hands? The hands on my Ingy were full of them but I cleaned them a bit with those lint free cloths for lenses and are now acceptable, will Rodico clean them fully? Is there anything else that could do the trick?

[/hijack]

Edited by guanaco

@DemonSlayer: R, rodico is on sale by cosusinsuk. They should be not far away from you.

And, honestly, rodico works incredibly.

@guanaco: a specific tool to clean hands & other parts is a leather or fabric buff stick very like the one mentioned by Logan. In Italian language it is called "cabrone", I don't know its name in English. Have a look here:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Cabrone-da-orologiaio-o...oQQcmdZViewItem

I managed to get some Rodico off the bay. Another question, what is the best method is to hold the rodico when preparing to clean the dial. On a tutorial at RG, a user puts a bit of rodico on the tip of a screwdriver, and then cleans this way. I tried this method on an old spare dial I have, and the tip almost always eventually pierced the Rodico entirely and then scratched the dial!

I'm guessing its too risky holding a piece of Rodico with the fingers as I could accidentally touch the dial and then leave another mark. Any suggestions guys?

I'm guessing its too risky holding a piece of Rodico with the fingers as I could accidentally touch the dial and then leave another mark. Any suggestions guys?

On the end of some pithwood if you have it...or just put on some finger cots available from a pharmacy and use your fingers.