When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie needs help understanding some terms

CJT74

I have been reading a lot here and I see a few terms I don't understand too well.

1) "ETA" I know this is refering to the movement. But what does "ETA" stand for? Then there is a number that refers to the movement. What movements are considered the best? I have a TT sub.

2) "SEL" I know this refers to the bracelet in some way but not sure what.

If someone can give me a brief description of what this means that would be great. Also....if there is a list of other terms or slangs I would like to check it out as I'm sure there is something I forgot about.

Thanks

James

ETA isn't an acronym per se, but is rather, I believe a truncation to the name Eterna (ETA was the subgroup that produced the movements for Eterna).

As for SEL- This is an acronym for Solid End Link, which describes the final link that attaches to the case/lugs of the Rolex Oyster case. The origin of the SEL goes back a few decades in which this style of end link was used primarily for 18k solid gold models; in the mid 80's the 16660 employed the SEL in SS format, and from 1999/2000 on, has been the primary end link of most production pieces from these serial ref's.

Here is an SEL affixed to my 16610:

IMG_3034.jpg

And here is an SEL dissected:

IMG_0263.jpg

In contrast, this is a Loose End Link:

193_9359.jpg

The major difference between the two is that the Loose End Link is a folded flap of metal and can be removed from the bracelet, whereas the Solid End link is milled from 3 solid pieces of metal and incorporates the bracelet to make it more integral.

Excelent information, thanks!

Now what about the number that follows "ETA" when a specific movement is being described? Are there cirtain movements or ETAs that are better than others, any to stay away from?

What movement would my MBK TT sub from Eurotimez have? Its the one By-Tor used in his revirew, the one with ROLEX engraved in the rehaut.

Sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me. Trying to learn so I know what I'm reading in the threads.

Most automatic rep movements will be 2824 or 2836 if they're ETA...occasionally on "higher" end reps (500+) they'll be 2892 however this is rare now a days.

The difference between the xx24 and the xx36 can be found by using the search function at the top right of the page but, in a nutshell, the 2824 displays the date only and the 2836 has the ability to display the day and date... one is not really "better" than the other.

The typical movements found in reps are ETA 2836-2, 2824-2 and in some instances 2892-2. The numbers indicate a model designation- Each one is a little different in physical dimension and sometimes function. i.e. the 2836-2 is a day/date/time movement (though oft times, the day wheel/function is removed), and is 11.5"' in diameter and 5.05mm in profile. The 2824-2 is a date/time movement and is 11.5'" in diameter and 4.8mm tall. The 2892 is a date/time movement and is 3.6mm in profile. Because of it's thin profile, this movement is ideal as the basis for additional complications through the add on of specific modules (i.e. GMT function, power reserve, chronograph, etc). It should be noted that there are also Chinese replications of these movements as well. Sometimes you have to keep a close eye on the type of movement you are getting, as discerning the difference between a Swiss and CN variation requires dilligent attention.

If you have an MBK TT Sub, it should have the 2836-2 inside...

Please have a look around. Enough information has been provided to get you started and to point you in the right direction. Take a few minutes and search the forums; this topic has been discussed quite thoroughly, and I'm certain you'll be able to find the answers to your questions. If you have further inquiries regarding the specifics of what's been discussed, please feel free to ask.

Best of luck!

R