When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to expect with Asian 7750? I'm new.

crwolf79

Hello all.

First time poster here. I've been obsessed with getting a rep since I came across this site. I finally decided on the Tag Link Chrono (thanks By-Tor) with the Asian 7750 movement. It was at the top of my list that also happens to include a Tag Aquaracer and probably an Omega PO Ultimate. I just got it, and it is indeed a beautiful watch.

I have a couple of questions though, as this is my first automatic watch, and I'm not sure what to expect with the movement. As far as the "feel" of the stalk coming out of the lock down crown, it feels like there's a bit of "clicking" going on when I do anything with the crown. Like I said, I've never owned an automatic, but all the quartz watches I've owned never have any feel in the crown when adjusting date or time.

So I'm supposed to wind it clockwise 15-20 times to get it started, correct? When I do that, it feels a bit "notchy" at times--it will feel like something is catching. Not consistently, but intermittantly. Maybe its normal, I just wanted to check. Same with setting the time. I feel some resistance "clicking" feelings. I only set it going clockwise. Is this par for the course on an automatic watch? Do I need to take it somewhere for a service or should I just quit worrying? I would assume that setting the time would be a smooth movement, on par with the feeling of say, a quartz Seiko, but it occasionally feels like it "catches" on something as the hands move.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for your help!

CW

Congrats on the first purchase. Automatic watches are great...mechanical devices have a soul whereas quartz is just cheap no matter how expensive it is. The problem is, automatics are not as accurate as quartz movements, require much more maintenance (costly at that), and much more care...but they are so cool.

Things to read:

Care and Feeding of Automatic and Manual Watches

Care and Feeding of A7750s

Why Handwinding is Bad

Problems Accelerating Wear and Maintenance of A7750s

A7750 Power Reserve and Rotor Spinning Problems

A7750 Spinning Rotor...is it a problem?

How To Adjust Timing or Beat

Wow...so much information...you are in trouble...you just kissed all your free time goodbye. :p

I've been digging. Man, there's a lot of information out there on this stuff.

Upon further examination, I suspect that all of my concerns about the crown feel and function are pretty normal.

I emailed the dealer I got it from, and he said he tested all the operation and that the symptoms I'm describing are normal for an automatic. He says that they click to a varying degree depending on the subdial configuration. I have to admit, it is keeping time, and the chrono works perfect, so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

I think the clicking/resistance I feel might be improved by lubing it. I read on one of The Zigmeister's posts that the new Asian 7750 (like this one has) usually doesn't have any or enough lube out of the gate.

Where does one go about taking a rep watch for service, and when is the right time to lube it?

I've been digging. Man, there's a lot of information out there on this stuff.

Upon further examination, I suspect that all of my concerns about the crown feel and function are pretty normal.

I emailed the dealer I got it from, and he said he tested all the operation and that the symptoms I'm describing are normal for an automatic. He says that they click to a varying degree depending on the subdial configuration. I have to admit, it is keeping time, and the chrono works perfect, so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

I think the clicking/resistance I feel might be improved by lubing it. I read on one of The Zigmeister's posts that the new Asian 7750 (like this one has) usually doesn't have any or enough lube out of the gate.

Where does one go about taking a rep watch for service, and when is the right time to lube it?

Finding somebody to service is a challenge.

I said in another post that finding people who can work on high end movements like 7750s (gen or rep) is rare...add on the complication of dealing with Asian versions (i.e. scarcity of parts, and idiosyncracies of manufacturing) and it can indeed be a challenge.

Asking around pawn shops that may sell reps to see who they would send stuff to be serviced to may be a start (as most pawn shops sell gens as well)...going through the yellow pages and calling people to see first if they can work on ETA 7750s and if they would be willing to work on an Asian 7750.

I know one local forum member here just brings in the movements to be serviced so he's not bringing in a "fake" watch...just the movement, but this entails having the skills to de-case, remove hands and dials, and re-install (not for the faint of heart, and requires a specialized tool kit).

I can do some of this...but for the movement, I defer to the master The Zigmeister...search for a thread on how to contact The Zigmeister for mods...it will explain how to get in contact with him.

You can also search the forum for rep friendly watchmakers in your country.

• 1 month later...

I read The Zigmeister's review of the Asian 7750 and just got confused as to how I will know if its the new or old one.

So the old one was not so great, but The Zigmeister said the new one looks REALLY good.

Lots of these Reps have the Asian 7750 (like eurotimez and PT), they quote as having New Asian 7750's now are these

the NEW ones The Zigmeister was detailing in his thread, or are these new as in not been sitting about but still the old style if you catch what

I mean?

Reliability is a big thing for me and I don't want to make a costly mistake.

I think I acutally answered my own question thinking about it haha!.........Eurotimez NEW ASIAN 7750's are the good ones arent they!

Linky

http://www.eurotimez.com/page65/page91/page345/page345.html