When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Off-Centered Date Window

freddy333

I have been struggling with my feelings about the location of the date window on MY's dial

datewindow0021.jpg

Here are 2 gen dials for comparison (note the location, horizontally, of the date window relative to the location of the index markers above & below it, & its proximity to the minute markers to its immediate right)

158654001_o.jpg

1gmt.jpg

As you can see, the window in MY's dial is clearly located further inward (towards the center of the dial) relative to the gens, which leaves the dates appearing too far to the right. It was also cut at a slight angle, which, if the window was correctly centered, I could live with. But, as it is, I am not sure?

The watch is looking quite gen-like, so I would hate to mess it all up with a mistake on a dial that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Now we all know that gen dates are sometimes off-center a bit, but how far is too far?

So, my question is - Am I being too neurotic, or should I should return the dial & ask for a better replacement?

I would return it. It is too far inward IMO. If it were close I would say with the cyclops it might not matter but it looks too far to cheat to me...

Put a crystal and cyclops over it Freddy and take a shot?

It is a bit difficult to get a good shot because the dial is sitting loose on top of the movement (I still have not figured out how to fix the dial to the movement & I am trying to avoid the use of adhesives/cement), but I think this should give you a good idea

datewindow20011.jpg