When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone else play or have played WoW?

Moze

Consumed by 1s and 0s, a tale by a bored and restless Moze

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Odd subject, I know. But it is the most popular game in the world.

I can proudly say I have been "clean" from WoW for 4 months now and I am surprised at how easy it was for me to just uninstall and not look back. Addiction in a serious sense for a video game must seem silly to most, but believe me... it is very real. I've read ridiculous stories about WoW addiction leading to numerous divorces, child neglect cases, etc. A good female friend of mine recently graduated college and interviewed at a well-known Engineering University as a wellness counselor. She mentioned to me that one of their #1 issues with the students were WoW addiction. These student wouldn't sleep, shower, socialize, etc. They'd just play this game continuously. Luckily, I didn't have it that bad.

However, when I did take the time to calculate the # of hours I've wasted playing this game, it came out to basically the equivalent of spending 2 hours a day, 7 days a week for nearly 8.5 years. Appalling.

I can remember when I stepped foot into Walmart to buy the game... I picked it up, took it over to the counter of the electronics section and the guy working the register took a second to pause and stare at me... He then says, "are you sure you want to buy this?" I nod, thinking... well of course I do, I brought it up here. He says, "well ok. Its just that I have seen this game ruin lives..." I laughed then, but now I understand.

I'm positive the people who get sucked into this game do it for different reasons. My case was a little different though, I think. To be completely honest, I started playing to keep me in the house, safe... and to prevent myself from spending money. I was new to college and had several friends who liked to go out EVERY NIGHT. I would bartend on the weekends, and often came home drunk and broke on other nights of the week. College was very boring and easy for me, and I figured a "never-ending" game like this might keep me entertained and under control. I had no clue it would consume me in such a way.

It wasn't until I had achieved nearly everything possible in the game, had everything I possibly could want, that I realized that I had not only NOT gained anything... but had wasted so much time in the process of realizing this. This was 4 months ago, a new expansion is coming out soon and I have no desire to ever look back.

:) So much for my story telling time. Anyone else play this game? Have any stories to share?

I was an everquest victim for around 3 years so I know what you mean, I ended up in a high end raiding guild so It got to the stage of playing every night for stupid hrs.

I did play WOW in beta & actually that was what made me quit EQ, I was thinking how to play both when the penny dropped about how much time I had sunk into it.

I think its been about 5 years since I deleted both from my hard drive, best thing I ever did :D