When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Manual Wind Crowns

cskent69

PAM experts? Can anyone here describe the way that a proper Panerai crown (perferably Manual Wind) is supposed to work. None of our crowns seem to be spring loaded. Only my Panerai 063 (from nearly 2 years ago) has spring action.

It is a function of the crown? Do the gen crowns cause this action - and - how do they do it?

I would really like to get some gen - spring loaded - manual wind crowns. Any ideas?

PAM experts? Can anyone here describe the way that a proper Panerai crown (perferably Manual Wind) is supposed to work. None of our crowns seem to be spring loaded. Only my Panerai 063 (from nearly 2 years ago) has spring action.

It is a function of the crown? Do the gen crowns cause this action - and - how do they do it?

I would really like to get some gen - spring loaded - manual wind crowns. Any ideas?

Some of DSN's are sprung, the turks supposed Gens are to.

Both need bigger tubes to be fitted correctly, T's 60's fit nicely and look wider and thus maybe better

ST4

The "turks supposed gens" have the same built-in spring mechanism to contemporary gens but use a three gasket system as opposed to an encased two gasket system. Current speculation is that they were early rejects for pre-v watches but who knows. They, like gen crowns are designed to fit a specific case tube which has a lip though. The traditional Jimmy case as well as gen cases have the lip so that the crown locks against the case tube, sits a specific distance from the base case and springs out once the lever is released. But with a standard rep case which has a much thinner simple hole you will likely have to replace that case tube or at a minimum enlarge it to get the proper seal and spring. You also need to be sure the cg lever is long enough to properly contact the crown once mounted as the contact point is recessed much deeper than on rep crowns. With the GMT and Davidsen crowns there is a spring mechanism. It is not as robust - but a lot less hassle. Gen contemporary manual wind crowns do come up but I believe they are selling for $200-300 each and you will still need to replace the case tube on most standard rep cases. Here is a pic of a contemporary crown/case tube on a gen (right) and "Turk" crown on Jimmy case (left).

DSC_0043.jpg

Thanks Kruzer. I see that the Turk has only Ti crowns available now. Not sure if the SS ones ever come up. I have a Jimmy case and all the fixings - but am missing the appropriate crown for a Manual wind. I will keep waiting until one comes up. Thanks for the explanation. To bad it is not easy to come by these.

The spring within the crown is there to reduce pressure on the movement when the crown is pressed it, in this case by the crown lever.

If you use an unsprung crown its important to set the depths accurately to ensure the crown does not force the stem back into the keyless works.

One way to do this is to loosen the movement holder screws slightly then gently close the crown lever and see if the movement shifts. If its does the place a slight thicker o-ring under the crown and repeat.