When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Experts: This 104 a rep?

chad

A friend says this watch is a gen and I want to believe him but it seems fishy.

I know it is a bad pic but....

I noticed the case is brushed and I know that is not correct but I would be shocked if he was not telling the truth.

What do you think of this really bad pic?

post-626-1223559691_thumb.jpg

Well, it's definitely a really bad pic :)

So.... Regardless of the watch, what makes you suspect that something is fishy? Something he said? Or is there a story behind the watch that makes you feel as though something is up? What's the story behind this one? Have you seen this watch in person, or only in pics?

Difficult to tell from the pic, but do those A's look like they have the low cross bar?

I'm a little confused...

What throws me off is the bracelet, because it looks aftermarket to me. Gen bracelets taper.

The crown also looks a little thin for a 104. Maybe if he said it were a PAM50 I'd be inclined to believe it. But then again, the PAM50 doesn't have the "Automatic" text on the dial!

Well I should have did a little more reading before I posted, but...

Gen bracelets can't fit on strap cases (the 104 is a strap case) without the use of a "microlink" (that part sells for about $250). The bracelet cases have a dent on the underside of the case that would hold the bracelet.

My opinion is that it is the low-cost (Asian 21J) 104 that Joshua was selling a couple of years ago, with a bracelet applied.

That version had exactly that same brushed case and polished bezel, same crown, lever, and dial. I got it and I still have it: if I remove the improved crown put on it, and I apply a bracelet, I end up with exactly that same watch.

Btw, it is not a gen 104 or 220 dial as in the gen the numbers and markers are placed farer from the border, nearer to the center of the dial.

Also, it is not a 050 as the 050 has no marker @ 9Hr.

Maybe your friend got scammed?