When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

i would just like to say

oscarmadfish

personally, quartz is the worst option for anything - If I see a brand like rolex, breitling, Panerai, etc. and see ticking - I think very cheap fake - If I see a constantly sweeping seconds hand, I don't consider it a fake unless I can spot another "tell"

If you want a working chrono for whatever reason - there are many nice gen Seiko watches

let's agree to disagree :)

There is obviously a large market for quartz reps and for good reason

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

let's agree to disagree :)

Fair enough. I think we're going to have to - hell, I don't particularly like quartz either (and probably wouldn't buy another one), but I like non-working chronos even less (I've got one of those too, and it's my last - I only bought it to find out if I could get comfortable with the flying B, but I really can't bear to wear it).... :)

Edit: Well damn, that argument was over quick. What're we gonna talk about now? :D

My two cents:

This PAM has 21j, and works perfectly. Just 2 days ago I gently shaked for 1 minute my A7750 Chopard MM, in one hand, and my new Yaht-Master with 21j in another hand. A7750 worked 25 hours, but YM still beating. OK? Now, tell me that 21j is sheeeet.

I have few quartz, for one reason only - I work at home, and wear watch only if I'm going out, it's about 2-3 times a week, and I don't have watchwinder yet, so, I'm sick and tired to set up the time and day/date every time I war the watch. But quartz keep perfect time all the way.

Ofcourse, when I'll buy watchwinder, situation will change, but for now- I'm quite happy with few good looking quartzes.

3/4 of my reps has 21j, and absolutely all of them works perfectly for years, even if I don't wear them too often.

And now these 21j is just great. Especially for the price. Oh, yeah... we're talking boobs here, I forgot...

OK, asian, with midsize boobs, tanned skin, looooong black hair, mystery in the eyes, smooth skin... full lips... hey, I have it already.

Edited by Luthier

My two cents:

This PAM has 21j, and works perfectly. Just 2 days ago I gently shaked for 1 minute my A7750 Chopard MM, in one hand, and my new Yaht-Master with 21j in another hand. A7750 worked 25 hours, but YM still beating. OK? Now, tell me that 21j is sheeeet.

I think you've misunderstood the argument. I never said the 21J is sh*t - quite the contrary, the 21J is a damn good movement for very little money - I own quite a number of them and am more than happy with them. My point was that a 21J will not power a functioning chrono (any more than an ETA 28xx would), so if you want a cheap chrono watch, quartz is the movement that makes most sense. :)

My comments about the PAM you posted weren't related to the movement at all - I've no problem with a 21J-powered cheapie PAM if it actually looks decent. Unfortunately, I've yet to see one that does...

personally, quartz is the worst option for anything - If I see a brand like rolex, breitling, Panerai, etc. and see ticking - I think very cheap fake - If I see a constantly sweeping seconds hand, I don't consider it a fake unless I can spot another "tell"

Really? When have you seen a Rolex, Breitling, Panerai, etc. "ticking"? I never see anyone wearing anything more than a $200 watch you could buy at any mall. You see people wearing ticking reps?

I think you've misunderstood the argument. I never said the 21J is sh*t - quite the contrary, the 21J is a damn good movement for very little money - I own quite a number of them and am more than happy with them. My point was that a 21J will not power a functioning chrono (any more than an ETA 28xx would), so if you want a cheap chrono watch, quartz is the movement that makes most sense. :)

My comments about the PAM you posted weren't related to the movement at all - I've no problem with a 21J-powered cheapie PAM if it actually looks decent. Unfortunately, I've yet to see one that does...

My misunderstanding then. Thanks for correcting. As far as I remember- you always was OK about 21j.

I have few Chronos with 21j, and most of them works well, BUT!! as I said - I don't wear 'em often. So, don't know. And who need chrono anyway? I'm not a sprinter.

Now I prefer simplier watches, like YM, PAM, etc.

I definitely should open my YM, I have strong suspicion that some drunk chinese worker put swiss ETA in it, it works too good to be chinese mov't. Or they started to make it better than swiss?

Edited by Luthier

as a side note, the 21J is not an actual movement but a general term given to all kinds of cheap asian movements - gregs VC in his avatar is a 21J and has a good load of retrograding complications - I use to think 21J's were non complicated movements as pugwash indicated - the term is being loosely used by dealers. Some 21Js will have better reliability than others

It would be nice if the industry would start naming the exact movement used such as a DG2813 or DG4813 (which are actually 22 jewel) or more elaborate movements such as DG3884B with a power reserve meter or an ML7101 with fake tourbillion

I definitely should open my YM, I have strong suspicion that some drunk chinese worker put swiss ETA in it, it works too good to be chinese mov't. Or they started to make it better than swiss?

LOL! Now that's the kind of drunk Chinese worker I like! :D

Agree 100% about quartz in a mechanical watch. I will never buy a faux chrono watch either but there are many good reps of quartz watches from Tag, IWC, Seiko, Citizen ect for under a 100 bucks. Tag have quite a few nice watches that are quartz in the gen and Citizen have a lovely piolets watch reminisent of the Navitimer while Seiko of cause have many top shelf pieces worth collecting in rep form almost all of these can be had for under a hundred bucks and are remarkably close to the gen. In quite a few cases the MVT is the same as the gen.

To browse whats available go to watches-brand.com and have a looky. There's thousands of them. Find one you like and get a quote from one of our guys, pref somone based at GZ market. The price should be half to a third of the WB price. Cheapies are gooooood! 'specialy ATM.

Col.

Agree 100% about quartz in a mechanical watch. I will never buy a faux chrono watch either but there are many good reps of quartz watches from Tag, IWC, Seiko, Citizen ect for under a 100 bucks. Tag have quite a few nice watches that are quartz in the gen and Citizen have a lovely piolets watch reminisent of the Navitimer while Seiko of cause have many top shelf pieces worth collecting in rep form almost all of these can be had for under a hundred bucks and are remarkably close to the gen. In quite a few cases the MVT is the same as the gen.

To browse whats available go to watches-brand.com and have a looky. There's thousands of them. Find one you like and get a quote from one of our guys, pref somone based at GZ market. The price should be half to a third of the WB price. Cheapies are gooooood! 'specialy ATM.

Col.

I like their description:

TAG Heuer Men's Carrera Automatic Chronograph Watch #CV2015.BA0786 Details:Watches-Price Sales Rank: #17273 in Watches Brand: TAG Heuer Model: CV2015.BA0786 Dimensions: 3.00 pounds Band material: stainless-steel Bezel material: stainless-steel Case material: stainless-steel Clasp type: push-button-fold-over-clasp Dial color: blue Dial window material: scratch-resistant-sapphire Movement type: Automatic Water-resistant to 165 feet

3 pounds???

I like their description:

TAG Heuer Men's Carrera Automatic Chronograph Watch #CV2015.BA0786 Details:Watches-Price Sales Rank: #17273 in Watches Brand: TAG Heuer Model: CV2015.BA0786 Dimensions: 3.00 pounds Band material: stainless-steel Bezel material: stainless-steel Case material: stainless-steel Clasp type: push-button-fold-over-clasp Dial color: blue Dial window material: scratch-resistant-sapphire Movement type: Automatic Water-resistant to 165 feet

3 pounds???

:lol:

I've heard of big watches, but that's ridiculous. :D :D :D

as a side note, the 21J is not an actual movement but a general term given to all kinds of cheap asian movements - gregs VC in his avatar is a 21J and has a good load of retrograding complications - I use to think 21J's were non complicated movements as pugwash indicated - the term is being loosely used by dealers. Some 21Js will have better reliability than others

It would be nice if the industry would start naming the exact movement used such as a DG2813 or DG4813 (which are actually 22 jewel) or more elaborate movements such as DG3884B with a power reserve meter or an ML7101 with fake tourbillion

They already doing it.

img001.jpg

pricelist3.jpg

Yep - we get so used to referring to them generically, it's easy to forget that there are several '21j' movements, many of which do not have 21 jewels.

It has to be said, though, that all the versions I've come across so far have been good, solid reliable movements. Not tried the power reserve (yet) or fake tourby (never!) movements, though :)