When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need your opinion

Cats

I'm planning to sell my never worn PAM232 with this movement in it.

I want to give the right information in the sales thread but i don't know if it's Swiss ,Chinese half Swiss or whatever.

Ofcourse it was sold as a Swiss movement but by now we know that there are a lot of white lies in this area.

Can some of the experts help me out.

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

Thanks for looking

Carpe Diem

Cats

Cats,

I apreciate your effort in trying to authenticate your piece! You should be congratulated! While the resident experts are responding, could we turn this into an educational opportunity too? Can the resident experts please state 'why' also? Yeah, it looks Swiss to me... gears and all, but the bridges look different to me, if for nothing else than the machine patern on them. Is this the reason why FxrAndy calls them Chinese? Simillarly, what does TomRiddle see that makes it an Asian 6497? I am no expert, but am trying to educate myself in knowing what I am looking at and want to take any opportunity to learn... Thanks to everybody that coments to help Cats, but also so the rest of us can learn along the way!

Gracias!

-K

Cats,

I apreciate your effort in trying to authenticate your piece! You should be congratulated! While the resident experts are responding, could we turn this into an educational opportunity too? Can the resident experts please state 'why' also? Yeah, it looks Swiss to me... gears and all, but the bridges look different to me, if for nothing else than the machine patern on them. Is this the reason why FxrAndy calls them Chinese? Simillarly, what does TomRiddle see that makes it an Asian 6497? I am no expert, but am trying to educate myself in knowing what I am looking at and want to take any opportunity to learn... Thanks to everybody that coments to help Cats, but also so the rest of us can learn along the way!

Gracias!

-K

I second that!

There was a post along time ago that dissected this sort of movement and by the end it was clear that the only pam bridges that were swiss were from panerai them selfs, all the panerai style movements we have no matter how they are advetised are at best swiss bace plates and running gears and asian bridges.

My 2 pence worth ....

Asian - "Swiss" copy ....why

1- It has 2 blue screws on the balance plate (beneath the regulator) and what appears to be an ETA 6497-1 stamp so looks like a swiss base plate

2- The dial retaining screws on ETA Swiss made 6497 are traditionally next to the case clamp screws - this doesn't have these

Therefore I reckon this is an Asian ETA clone 6497 ...one of the better versions.

Not a bad movement so don't be put off ....I have a couple of these that have been running solid for 18-24 months without issue.

The main flaw of these movements vs Swiss is that they are not usually oiled at the factory - so can wear quicker than their Swiss made counterparts

Cheers

FGD

There was a post along time ago that dissected this sort of movement and by the end it was clear that the only pam bridges that were swiss were from panerai them selfs, all the panerai style movements we have no matter how they are advetised are at best swiss bace plates and running gears and asian bridges.

@fitmic: ^_^

@adrenaline: reason i replied so quick with my guess though i'm hardly an expert is because... DING DING DING I posted a similar thread AGES ago!

:D

in fact, FxrAndy may be thinking of my own thread.. i was trying to authenticate a pam i bought on what type of movement it has.. swiss or china..

Help ID this movement please

anyhows experts chimed in, it was swiss.. i bought it as advertised as swiss and was wondering how people knew just by looking..

JUST BY LOOKING..

I found the answer thanks to researching "T's" crowns... tourby has posted a very telling answer

Blued Screws on movement

one of the easiest tells are the blue screws.. if you notice, your screws are completely blue and the finish isn't quite up to par..

Swiss movements have blue screws *BUT* the line/slot is not blue :D

anyhows look at the thread i posted.. oh what the heck here's a pic from it

ghetto-111h-movement-a.jpg

see what i mean? blue screws, plain slot/line compared to yours

anyhows, I REPEAT: I AM NOT AN EXPERT but I myself did wonder how some people can just tell right away if a mvmt is china/swiss..

lookit the blue?

To me it is an excellent Asian, and personally I think we should give up with this obsession to tell Asian from Swiss on the 6497.

There are always Asian parts, and the 6497 is such a simple movement that good Asian clones are at par with Swiss movements.

What really matters is how good the finish is, and, on H-series movement like this one, whether the text is engraved like the gen or applied.