When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG1: Big skeletons for the big-wristed....

greg_r

Just came across this at Andrew's site - a Dewitt Acadamia skeleton with an Asian Unitas 6498. Interesting looking watch. Better yet, it's 44mm. Relatively cheap, too ($188) I think it's gonna wind up on my list. Dammit :lol:

dewit_s.jpg

He's also got another Dewitt at 43mm and a couple of IWCs at 42.5mm

Just came across this at Andrew's site - a Dewitt Acadamia skeleton with an Asian Unitas 6498. Interesting looking watch. Better yet, it's 44mm. Relatively cheap, too ($188) I think it's gonna wind up on my list. Dammit :lol:

dewit_s.jpg

He's also got another Dewitt at 43mm and a couple of IWCs at 42.5mm

Do you like to see the guts of a girl when you shagging her?

Honestly- I don't understand skeletonemania.

Maybe I'll grow up...and then...

Honestly- I don't understand skeletonemania.

Maybe I'll grow up...and then...

To each his own :)

It's the same reason why display casebacks are so popular (and, I suspect, why tourbillons are considered so special - they're fascinating to see when working). Watch movements are beautiful things, even more so when you can see them working. To be honest, my main interest in watches comes from seeing my grandfather work on watch and clock movements when I was a kid (it was a hobby of his), and I will often look through the display back of my VC, Breguet or, especially, my PAM111 just for the pleasure of seeing the movement running. I've wanted a skeleton watch for almost as long as I can remember - just never got around to buying one before.

There's a long tradition of displaying watch movements for the sheer pleasure of looking at them. Pocket watches - from the early days - have traditionally had an opening back, to allow the user to enjoy the intricacy of the movement (and show his friends, I guess!). The only disadvantage with those was that the movement was not then protected with a crystal, so it was easy to damage the watch. With a skeleton watch, you have the advantage of not having to take the watch off or open it to see the movement working.

To each his own :)

It's the same reason why display casebacks are so popular (and, I suspect, why tourbillons are considered so special - they're fascinating to see when working). Watch movements are beautiful things, even more so when you can see them working. To be honest, my main interest in watches comes from seeing my grandfather work on watch and clock movements when I was a kid (it was a hobby of his), and I will often look through the display back of my VC, Breguet or, especially, my PAM111 just for the pleasure of seeing the movement running. I've wanted a skeleton watch for almost as long as I can remember - just never got around to buying one before.

There's a long tradition of displaying watch movements for the sheer pleasure of looking at them. Pocket watches - from the early days - have traditionally had an opening back, to allow the user to enjoy the intricacy of the movement (and show his friends, I guess!). The only disadvantage with those was that the movement was not then protected with a crystal, so it was easy to damage the watch. With a skeleton watch, you have the advantage of not having to take the watch off or open it to see the movement working.

Absolutely agree. I love to look on display casebacks. Most of my reps has it. It's fascinating, indeed. But when I need to know, what time is now - I'd like to see regular dial with hands. Not skeleton, where I have to spend a minute to find out, where's hands are.

I'll definitely buy a few chinese skeleton MOVEMENTS, and will put then in separate display box, to enjoy. About 6-8 of them will greate fantastic display. But on the wrist - do I have time middle of the driving 120km/hour to enjoy of beauty on skeleton? I doubt it.

But again - I agree with you - it's great pleasure to see working movement.

Edited by Luthier

same - I like seeing the workings of the movement and that 44mm is a good find greg - thanks

smooth crown?

Yes, I can see that being tough to wind..... lol

i think if you have a skel watch it needs to be as big as poss

the whole point of them is to see the movement

i am not that struck on the de witt but i think it would look better in reality

so greg needs to buy it and post pics [censored]er has not bought a watch for days skinflint bastard :p

bugger off, Oscar.... :p