When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I remove crystal and fix dial?

rollieman

Bought the rolex noob version from Trustytime about 2 months ago and one of the dials on the 9 fell off. It looks like just a sticker that I can reglue. Can someone let me know how I can safely remove the crystal and what type of glue I should use? I'm a newbie at this stuff. Thanks.

Actualy you dont need to remove the crystal, but you have to remove the movement with the dial attached from your watch, a generic opening tool for rolex sub wil work to open the back case of your watch, and apropriate screw divers to remove the movement pushers that keep the movement in place,. I'm shure you can see how to do it on several posts here so do some research.Dont forget that to the movement to get out from the case youl have to get the stem/crown out of the movement. The markers on the noob dial are secured by a litlle pin on the back of the marker that fitts on a litle hole on the dial. most secure way is to put a very very litlle grop of shooe glue (contact glue) that will take some time to get dry and once it is, it will be kind of rubber texture so its ease to remove. You can do this with a nedlle or o tooth pick , and than put the marker on its place. This glue is the same i use to glue the bezel inserts and it's secure but allways allow me to get them out of the bezel easely with no damage at all. When dealing with the dial you may put some finger prints on it and it may collect some dust, the best way to clean it than will be to use a product called Rodico, but i stongly recomend you to use rubber gloves to avoid getting the dial realy dirty.

Bought the rolex noob version from Trustytime about 2 months ago and one of the dials on the 9 fell off. It looks like just a sticker that I can reglue. Can someone let me know how I can safely remove the crystal and what type of glue I should use? I'm a newbie at this stuff. Thanks.
Edited by patfvl

If you are unaware of the procedure to carry out this repair, may I respectfully suggest that you find a rep friendly watchsmith to do it for you. Whilst it is not an overly difficult job, you will probably find that for a first up job, you will screw something up, and ruin a perfectly good watch,

If you aspire to doing your own repairs, get a few "clunkers" to destroy, before you try to carry out work such as this.

We have all stuffed up some nice pieces, in our quest to learn more, and i believe you will find the same thing.

Offshore

I bought 3 quartz cheapies from my local parts wholesaler for about $3 each and spent some time with my $60 watchmakers kit dismantling them for fun - gave me a pretty good understanding of how a watch is constructed - then I moved on to replacing batteries for friends and family members - moved on to replace a crystal - then replaced a miyota 2035 movement - broke a crown stem over tightening the crown to it - took a couple days just to figure out how to remove the stem to begin with - each movement has a different spot where to press and this particular movement needed to turn a screw 1 1/2 times 1st - if I had opened a $2-300 rep to start, I would have surely broke it

After a few weeks of tinkering, I opened up my Omega PO to find bad bearings in the rotor... my watchmaking hobby continues :) It can be a lot of fun but breaking something expensive will bite hard - good luck and have fun - use the search feature of the forum and read as much as you can - also google is your friend - when you're stuck, just post a new thread as there are many very knowledgeable folks here