When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do I Sell This Crosswind And Make Myself A Daytona?

Guest chronomat123

Guest chronomat123

After seeing Ubi's Daytona project, I really want to try it myself...

but with an 18k model...

But do I sell this:

87450-29106.jpg

To make this?

87450-29107.jpg

Has anyone else been inspired by Ubi's project: Is anyone else considering doing this? I've always wanted a genuine Daytona, but I just can't justify spending that kind of money on one watch. This seems a much better solution.

I was thinking of sourcing an El Primero, putting it in an aftermarket 18ct case, and adorning it with genuine crown, crystal, dial, croco strap, and deployant buckle. I already looked into it and I have a watchmaker here who claims he can get me any genuine parts I need.

Also, is anyone aware of a place to purchase an aftermarket 18k Daytona-type case for the model with the leather strap?

I love the CW, but it's starting to get old anyway....

Guest Sql_pl

If you can source gen case, bezel, dial, hands, pushers and crown then go for it!

Case will be the biggest problem... oh and the bezel.

Genuine bezel is a lot more flat.

Cheers!

Guest Sql_pl

This is for my next project... but I am not sure if I will be able to finish it. Maybe someone will hepl me as my watchsmith failed...

87460-29103.jpg

87460-29104.jpg

LOVE THAT DIAL!!

Edited by Sql_pl

Guest chronomat123

Wow... that's so sweet.

How'd you find a newer dial? I really hope my watchmaker isn't talking out of his ass when he tells me he can source genuine Daytona dials...

Hmm... 116528.... looks like you and I think alike....

Planning on making an 18kwg Daytona?

Is the project worth doing? To me... My opinion is yes, it is absolutely worth doing, and I will probably do it again as I just can't get enough of the Daytona :bangin:

For now, the 16520 remains to be one of my favorite watches to wear... It's comfortable, sits on the wrist nicely, and has just the right balance between subtle and bling for me.

87490-29088.jpg

87490-29089.jpg

87490-29090.jpg

One key element to the project that I must stress is patience. A project like this is one that's worth doing right; don't want to cut corners or rush things, as the end result will absolutely reflect the time, money and effort invested :)

Cheers,

R

Edited by ubiquitous

Guest chronomat123

Those pictures really make me jealous, ubi.

Thnx for the advice.

Is the project worth doing? To me... My opinion is yes, it is absolutely worth doing, and I will probably do it again as I just can't get enough of the Daytona :bangin:

For now, the 16520 remains to be one of my favorite watches to wear... It's comfortable, sits on the wrist nicely, and has just the right balance between subtle and bling for me.

87616-29042.jpg

87616-29043.jpg

87616-29044.jpg

One key element to the project that I must stress is patience. A project like this is one that's worth doing right; don't want to cut corners or rush things, as the end result will absolutely reflect the time, money and effort invested :)

Cheers,

R

I've seen a few of each, as well as 16618's... In both solid 14k and 18k gold. But, they are very pricey, and gold was never to my taste anyways (so I passed and kept looking for stainless). One thing to keep in mind; these cases were meant for genuine Rolex calibers (4030 for Daytona; 3135 for YM and Submariner), so you'd definitely need to source the correct movements to ensure correct fit and stem alignment (i.e. ETAs and Valjoux mod 7750's probably will not work). Consequently, I've not seen a case for a 4130 movement Daytona yet; the 11652x cases varies to the 16528/4030 as it is slightly thinner in profile, and hence stem alignment might be off if you are looking to mix and match cases and movements.

Edited by ubiquitous

• 2 weeks later...
El Primero is king! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've bee half-assedly working on a TT (or 18k) Frankentona for my pop for over a year--here's how the the sourcing has gone for me.

Dial: That's ow the project sarted. The old man was doing his saturday flea market thing and ran accross an unopened NOS black & gold dial--I'd told him about reps, mods, etc, so he picked it up for...get this...$35. He brings it over and says "hey, can you use this?" So Mr. Big watchsmith man says, "Sure, Dad, I'll build you an exact replica of the watch that dial fits on...It's non me. Give me a a month or so." "Great," says he.

So i set my budget @ $2000-$2250 and stated looking:

Three months later: No OEM parts sourced dispite regular looking on ebay. Three or Datrons pass my max bid of $850.

Month 4: OEM bezel, ~90% condition ought on ebay for $290, a good deal.

Month 6: no deals on a datron. Pick up an OEM crown and tube for $80, probably not a good deal.

Month 10: Aborted case deal. I got warned off the seller by another member just in time. The seller then listed the case he was going to sell me in the old offers section and all hell broke loose with people picking the case apart as damaged and incompetently reshaped and told many hair-raising stories of being scammed by said seller.

Month 12: Picked up OEM hand-set and nice 18k aftermarket pushers for a total of $200.

Month 14: Picked up an OEM strap for $60, a great deal. Raised my datron max bid to $925. Still getting outbid on every datron.

I set my budget at 2k--if you can raise yours beyond that I bet you could get your project done a good bit faster than me--but that case ain't going to be easy. I've looked harder for it than any other part---I've seen 2, onle one of them worth buying and at $1450 (no bezel) busted my budget.

I hadn't really set any budget for my project when I started, but all said and done the finished watch cost around $2600.00. The biggest factor for me was getting the 31j movement; had many an opportunity to get the 17j model, but kept holding out for the newer 31j. Finally, my patience was awarded with a brand new factory fresh 31j El Primero 400 (for an Ebel 1911) priced very reasonably at $800. I was about ready to shell out almost 2x that price for a complete watch to scavenge the movement from...