When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Water Resistant

Guest TheDude

Guest TheDude

Morning all. As some of you might have read in my first post i bought and received my first replica last week, albeit over priced. On the website i bought it from under uneful info it states not to get the watch wet as they can't guarantee their watches are water resistant. My question is. If i were to have the watch serviced by a local watch store where i live or send it off to one of the guys on here, could it be made water resistant even if only to the point i could wash my hands and know i didn't have to worry about it? Or could a local watch repairer test it in some way? The watch being a Carrera Automatic Chronograph. Cheers

Edited by TheDude

Testing should cost between $25-$50 CDN depending on who does it...and what happens after testing. Tell them it's a rep and you want to see how resistant it is. Have them first test it to about 3atm...then maybe 5atm. If it fails at 3...have them test to 2atm. That will get you quick accidental splashes with no problem...but submersion is not recommended. If it fails...they should try greasing gaskets for you and re-testing. If that fails...depending on where it fails, you may be out of luck.

Sometimes they pass but it's still a risk as the fit between chrono pushers (tolerance of hole and machining of pushers) is low so too much of a gap is there. The gasket may protect things, unless the pusher is pushed to the side...then it leaks...so a risk for swimming.