When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG1: Fiddy from PWC

greg_r

Okay, here's the latest aquisition and the first budget PAM I've come across that was worth having.

I've been on the lookout for a PAM 127 "Fiddy" for some time. The problem with these is two-fold: firstly, there isn't an "Ultimate" Fiddy around that's worth the name - all of them have fairly major flaws, and secondly it's a very big watch at 47mm and I wasn't sure that I'd be comfortable wearing it. I therefore didn't want to spend too much on it - but nevertheless wanted something decent.

I'd been looking at a few versions around the $150 region, but hadn't found anything that looked reasonable until I came across this one from PWC for $99. It arrived in just over a week, and Robert was very helpful answering questions before purchase. I think I'll be buying from him again.

Good stuff:

The dial is nice and crisp, as are the hands.

The case looks the part - the CG isn't too bad at all and the crystal has a nice profile.

The lume is outstanding for such a cheap rep - especially on the hands.

The strap is easily the best rep strap I've come across - nice and thick with a good tang buckle. It needs 'wearing in' as it's a tad stiff, but that's to be expected. It's way better than the 'croc' strap that came with my 'ultimate' 111h, and at least as good as a BOB strap I bought recently.

The movement is the ever-reliable Asian version of the 6497. No worries there although, of course, it's not the swan-neck version.

Not-so-good stuff:

The crown is a little too skinny and the CG lever is a bit floppy

The crystal is mineral glass and there's no AR (unsurprising at this price)

The engravings on the movement are incorrect for a Fiddy (also unsurprising at this price and entirely as expected)

Overall a pretty good score for such an inexpensive rep. It feels like quality, has a good weight and will, I suspect, get a lot of wrist time.

The only downside is that, having realised that whilst it's flamin' big, it's not TOO big, I should probably have bought a better one. Oh well - I can always upgrade later :)

Seriously, though, this is possibly the highest-quality 'cheapie' I've yet seen - in terms of sheer build quality it leaves all of my other cheaper reps standing.

Sorry for the quality of the photos - I took them early this morning and only had artificial light to work with.

pam127_1.jpg

pam127_2.jpg

pam127_w.jpg

Edit: updated the crappy wrist shot with a marginally less crappy one (but only marginally lol).

i really like the look of that greg it looks great on your wrist well done good bargain

Thanks, mate :)

talking of bargains i have so far seen about 10-12 cheapies i want so far all around the

The Fiddy apeals to me about as much as most Pams. ie:not at all. Well, OK, slightly more than most Pams, still not me tho. However for a hundred bucks it's a steal. Good buying Greg. You're right, that looks a real nice strap. Wear it well.

BTW who is PWC? If that's 100bucks there has to be more bargins there.

Col.

The Fiddy apeals to me about as much as most Pams. ie:not at all. Well, OK, slightly more than most Pams, still not me tho. However for a hundred bucks it's a steal. Good buying Greg. You're right, that looks a real nice strap. Wear it well.

Thanks, Col. Panerais are one of those 'love 'em or hate 'em deals, I guess. Personally, I can't get enough of 'em :)

BTW who is PWC? If that's 100bucks there has to be more bargins there.

Prestige Watch Co (he's a dealer at RG - is also at RWI as Time4direct). He's also got an ioffer storefront. He does a pretty good range, from cheapies up to the high-end stuff.

I have to say greg, she looks great! I wasn't crazy for the fiddy's look but after seeing your pics, especially the 1st one and considering what you paid - impressive - where it in good health, and of course if you get ill... you know the rest :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ROFLMAO!

Pugwash is gonna be after you for stealing his material..... bloody funny, though :lol: