When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbie with Questions!

cdaeng2

I just bought a REP Omega Seamaster James Bond Blue, watch arrived yesterday and I find that there are small scuff marks on 2 links. Contacted seller and he told me to take it to a local watchery and get it buffed which he will pay for. How much does it cost to get a watch buffed making it look new again? Because I have several watches I need to buff. If anyone is local here in Chicago that you can refer me to.

And other question is, what does helium valve do on these watches? and how do you wind this watch to keep it running instead of shaking it. Because I have GEN Omega Speedmaster and you can shake it, or turn the crown counterclockwise to manually wind it. Not really sure how to work this one. Last question with this watch, OMEGA print on the dial, are these suppose to look like print-on(silkscreened look)? these are how GEN Bond watches are made? well, other than that I like it so far.

Thanks,

Tae

I just bought a REP Omega Seamaster James Bond Blue, watch arrived yesterday and I find that there are small scuff marks on 2 links. Contacted seller and he told me to take it to a local watchery and get it buffed which he will pay for. How much does it cost to get a watch buffed making it look new again? Because I have several watches I need to buff. If anyone is local here in Chicago that you can refer me to.

And other question is, what does helium valve do on these watches? and how do you wind this watch to keep it running instead of shaking it. Because I have GEN Omega Speedmaster and you can shake it, or turn the crown counterclockwise to manually wind it. Not really sure how to work this one. Last question with this watch, OMEGA print on the dial, are these suppose to look like print-on(silkscreened look)? these are how GEN Bond watches are made? well, other than that I like it so far.

Most of your questions have been asked before in various links. Just because I'm a nice guy, and to encourage you to contribute to this forum, I'll start you off on a few links. The links lead to answers to some of your questions...you'll have to read the material to see the relevance:

This one speaks about automatics in general. Your SMP Bond is an auto same as any other including the 7750 based movements. Is yours an Asian movement, Asian 2836/2824 or whatever, or a genuine Swiss ETA movement?

Care and Feeding of A7750s

Swiss ETAs can be hand wound without problems...but Asian movements it's not recommended...again the following apply to A7750 (most popular chrono movement...but is pretty relevant to standard autos as well):

Why Handwinding is Bad

As to the OMEGA print on the dial...yes, this is how it is on the gen. Look at the Omega guide pinned in the Omega section to read reviews and find pictures that you can compare yours to. Some later years (current SMPs) have an applique OMEGA and "ohm" on the dial...but they didn't used to have this on some. The UPO uses both an applique "ohm" as well as printed dial.

Problems Accelerating Wear and Maintenance of A7750s

Scuffs on bracelets are not a big deal. It should be cheap to do...or you can get a cape code cloth from a jewellers and do it yourself.

Welcome aboard. Read the many excellent posts here...learn...SEARCH and learn more...then post back your findings to contribute back to the board. If you find the info here is saving you money and/or giving you knowledge, consider upgrading your membership to ensure this great source of info is available to you in the future.