When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Gen Tud Sub vs. My New MBW Red Sub

Thor

I received my MBW Red Sub today and am generally over the moon. I have had a lot of help recently from Randy, and he asked me to do a review of these pieces. Seeing as how he is a great guy, here goes.

Pictures Speak Louder Than Words So I played With My New Camera For You!! , like I needed an excuse lol. (Nikon D200)

First off the MBW,

222-8247.jpg

222-8248.jpg

222-8249.jpg

222-8250.jpg

222-8251.jpg

222-8252.jpg

All in All a very nice piece. Main Differences between this and the tudor being the bracelet and also the shape of the CG's and Crystal.

The Size is also different as well the tudor is smaller.

I am happy with the look and feel of the MBW and def deserves it's aura as the best Rollie rep (MBW not the Red Sub Specifically). However one thing bothers me, the bezel is extremely stiff, I mean I can't turn it all the way round when I am wearing it, I have to take it off, that's how stiff it is. I'm sure this will loosen with time but still a bit annoying.

Now on to the Tudor:

222-8253.jpg222-8254.jpg

222-8255.jpg

222-8256.jpg

222-8257.jpg

222-8258.jpg

222-8259.jpg

The Comparison:

The CG's

MBW:

222-8260.jpg

Together:

222-8261.jpg

222-8262.jpg

Crystal:

MBW:

222-8263.jpg

Tudor:

222-8264.jpg

Together:

222-8265.jpg

As you can see the MBW has a different king of cut to the crystal it's very geometric in appearence.

All In All, very happy with the MBW and I don't think it looks out of place next to the Tudor and that's in it's as is state, not bad straight out the box.

Hope this has been informative, any questio/comments feel free to let me know, i'm sure you will anyway lol

Chris

Well, it has come to the point where I now hate you. :ablow:

Just kidding, great watches. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just noticed something else, the case, is MUCH thicker on the MBW than the tudor, makes it stand up more on the wrist.

Oh and by the way the protruding screw has now been fixed it was just too tight lol.

Thanks I love them.

Chris

Excellent review and comparison Chris! I love the military dial and hands on your Tudor Sub!! :wub:

Any plans for mods on the new MBW?

BTW- On rotating your MBW bezel- Try pushing the bezel down against the case first and then turning. The washer that's seated between the retaining ring and bezel ring acts as a 'spring' of sorts in that it provides tension to keep the bezel from spinning freely. If you apply pressure and then rotate, I am sure you'll find a little more cooperation from the bezel :happy:

Thinking of having some work done to it, some vintagising, and the cg's done. I will prolly do the vintagising myself if I ever get round to getting myself a crystal remover. The crystal and crown/tubes will eventually be replace with gen, and will also prob go for a gen bezel and dial, if I see one for a good price. This will all be over time as I don't have the funds to do it outright, but will also go for a gen bracelet at some point as well.

Just build it up nice and slowly, taking my time giving it some TLC.

As for the bezel, I tried what you suggested but stil having major trouble rotating it. It's just some damn stiff. However the applying pressure advice does make it easier to move, thanks, at least the bezel will almost always be at the 12 position lol.

Thanks for the comment on the Tudor, it really is my pride and joy, worth a mint as well lol. It's just so light and comfy, helped by the years of wear.

Chris

If you need some help along the way with modding that MBW, let me know. I'd be glad to help :happy:

BTW... You don't really need a crystal puller to swap crystals :wink: It's really not as hard as you think!

Real nice comparison/review. Nice Tudor and nice MBW.

Cheers