When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First replica purchase

MediaMan

I know for certain there will be a Breitling replica on my wrist in my near future. Finding a model I like is easy... and big anniversary coming up! But my first two questons are as follows ( tried to search but came up empty:

1) Where would I find a short list of 'reliable' internet e-tailers I would first check out.....and similarly a short list of ones to avoid!

2) Where would I find a short list of 'reliable' local dealers in the Greater Toronto Area that I would first check out.....and similarly a short list of ones to avoid!

Many thanks

tried to search but came up empty:

1) Where would I find a short list of 'reliable' internet e-tailers I would first check out.....and similarly a short list of ones to avoid!

2) Where would I find a short list of 'reliable' local dealers in the Greater Toronto Area that I would first check out.....and similarly a short list of ones to avoid!

Aaah...you didn't try searching hard enough. Before you get flamed for asking the most often asked question in the universe ("where should I buy from?")...read my guide....I wrote it just for YOU:

Noob-Background.jpg

BTW...you don't buy reps in the GTA...you mail order them from China...or buy them from RWG members who live in Canada...or GTA if you're that specific. The ones in TO suck...trust me.

Welcome aboard...read, search, read more, learn, and have fun.

Aaah...you didn't try searching hard enough. Before you get flamed for asking the most often asked question in the universe ("where should I buy from?")...read my guide....I wrote it just for YOU:

Noob-Background.jpg

BTW...you don't buy reps in the GTA...you mail order them from China...or buy them from RWG members who live in Canada...or GTA if you're that specific. The ones in TO suck...trust me.

OK, perfect. Looks like a great resource. Many thanks. Great start.

Noob-Background.jpg

I got lucky!

I ordered my first rep before finding this most AWESOME place. I googled "Breitling Replicas" and looked at all the dealers out there. I eliminated the ones that all used the same stock photos. I luckily found one that did a great job and supplied an excellent watch. I was a bit stressed after finding that no one here ever heard of them and they were not on the list.

I must admit, it was all gut! Real lucky!!!

I have to tell you guys that the search button is the best thing going.

Toad: your guide is the best!

I'm not new to forums in general so I know enough to search first... ALWAYS! Every guide I have read stresses using the search function and trying different strings.

To all the noob's out there that have doubts, here's a real world situation that occurred to me... hmmm.... today!

I took my new rep that I have had for a week and decided to wash it with warm water and mild soap to make it nice and shiny (in the sink). That was two days ago. This morning was a foggy, misty day at the Jersey shore. While walking on the dock to catch my ferry I looked down at my watch to see what time it was and much to my shock all I saw was fog! My watch fogged up from the inside! My first reaction was panic. My next was to crack the laptop open and post a plea for help on this forum. I instead waited for my 40 min ride to finish and get in and hit the search button here. Not only did I find my answers as to why, but also what to do about it. I knew I wasn't the first DOPE to do this! And when I hit the "how do I take the caseback off" question without damaging the watch, I found that too. So, in less than 30 min I had all my answers, watch bracelet off, caseback off and drying on a heat source. And guess what? No more fog! I did it all without crying for help and getting spanked my the greats that dwell this place. So YES, always SEARCH first!!! It works!

Wow. I am in awe regarding the quality of the guides and reviews on this site - not to mention of course the beautifical pics! I've been reading up as much as I can. Really good stuff here, and sure helps boost confidence.

Have my eye set so far on a Navigator World Black or Serie Speciale Black, likely with a leather band.

I appreciate reader's patience with these noobie questions - was wondering if someone could comment (or point me to the right place) for these questions:

1. MOVEMENT
    • Is A7750 the same as "Asia Valjoux 7750 28800bph? or is the latter a later generation?
    • I assume "New Asia Valjoux 7750b1" supercedes both the above ?? ...but does this b1 series also have its own share of problems/concerns, or is it a safe bet?
    • Does automatic movement always mean quartz movement with battery?

[*]BUILD QUALITY - A generic question : In reading through the guides it is clear that the replicas are of course lower quality than the real deal costing several thousand more, and slightly physically different than the genuine article. But these replica watches look absolutely outstanding and are extremenly tempting. I'm just looking to build up some confidence around their basic quality/reliability/time-keeping accuracy. One mans replica is another mans 'fake', and I would like to think that if I buy as $300 replica from a known thumbs-up collector, that the quality/reliability of these watches, while nowhere near the real deal, (or not near my Omega Seamaster) are still nonetheless very good watches, and nothing like a flea market piece of junk - correct?? !!

Many thanks

• Is A7750 the same as "Asia Valjoux 7750 28800bph? or is the latter a later generation?
  • I assume "New Asia Valjoux 7750b1" supercedes both the above ?? ...but does this b1 series also have its own share of problems/concerns, or is it a safe bet?
  • Does automatic movement always mean quartz movement with battery?
A7750 means Asian 7750. Valjoux 7750 is actually the gen movement...or ETA 7750...same thing really. "Asia Valjoux" means Chinese copy of the Valjoux 7750. There was an earlier slow beat movement that was still an A7750...but the smooth sweep 28.8k movement is the usual one. You can still get collectors selling the slow beat movement which some people want as the hand sizes used on the slow beat are the same for the Swiss Valjoux...so if you're planning on putting in a real Swiss engine...getting the rep with the slow beat movement makes life easier.

I have no idea what 7750b1 is.

Auto means mechanical movement...NOT quartz. This means it requires kinetic movement to wind the watch via the rotor. Less reliable and more finicky and more costly to maintain than quartz...but closer to the gen...and nifty to have a fully mechanical thing beating on your wrist.

BUILD QUALITY - A generic question : In reading through the guides it is clear that the replicas are of course lower quality than the real deal costing several thousand more, and slightly physically different than the genuine article. But these replica watches look absolutely outstanding and are extremenly tempting. I'm just looking to build up some confidence around their basic quality/reliability/time-keeping accuracy. One mans replica is another mans 'fake', and I would like to think that if I buy as $300 replica from a known thumbs-up collector, that the quality/reliability of these watches, while nowhere near the real deal, (or not near my Omega Seamaster) are still nonetheless very good watches, and nothing like a flea market piece of junk - correct?? !!

Reps look great. They feel great (for the most part). With a real Swiss movement are essentially as reliable as a gen (but approaching the $1000 mark for a Valjoux 7750 chrono rep...but around $300 for an ETA based non-chrono). A $300 rep, serviced properly, can give you a lifetime a service...the same as the real deal, with the same reliability, durability, accuracy as the gen...but usually hit and miss on the water resistance. The problem is finding someone who can service the reps.

Read The Zigmeister's movement reviews for an idea of how good these movements are as some suck, and some don't. I think you can link to them from my Noob Guide...can't remember.

Don't think because it is a rep that the quality won't be any where near as good. Some are very close indeed. The noobmariner for one, is excellent. Providing you get a good one that has been QC'd.

Some watches have ETA movements, if you request them, which are they same basic movement in the original watch in a lot of cases.

So good luck and have fun!

kind regards. Marc.

Many thanks for the tips here.

Re RELIABILITY, points noted , with thanks.

On SERVICING, again thank you. Answers my question One must accept the need/merits to do this occasionally, only use a qualified technician, and be aware of the cost (especially replica servicing costs vs replica replacement costs), and realize that sometimes you get lucky and get away without it for a bit. I picked up my Dads old Longines Automatic this morning ; its been on the shelf for 10 years and it's least 40 years old - never been serviced and to my amazement, it still works. Just brought it in to polish off the scratches on the glass!. Of course it should be serviced but it is working for now and I want to save my money for the Breitling replica !

ANTI REFLECTIVE COATING

So if some Bretiling replicas comes with double sided AR, and some do not, is it possible to purchase a non-AR model (eg Navimeter world) and bring it in to someone to have the crystal replaced with a doubled sided AR crysyal?

I asked Andrew (Trustytime) if he could do just that, but he does not offer that service.

Edited by MediaMan

A7750 means Asian 7750. Valjoux 7750 is actually the gen movement...or ETA 7750...same thing really. "Asia Valjoux" means Chinese copy of the Valjoux 7750. There was an earlier slow beat movement that was still an A7750...but the smooth sweep 28.8k movement is the usual one. You can still get collectors selling the slow beat movement which some people want as the hand sizes used on the slow beat are the same for the Swiss Valjoux...so if you're planning on putting in a real Swiss engine...getting the rep with the slow beat movement makes life easier.

I have no idea what 7750b1 is.

And after some research...and a response from The Zigmeister the Master...I'm not the only one who is clueless:

7750a/b, 7750b1, A7750, New Asian 7750, Slow/Fast beat 7750...WTF??