When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Glued chrono second hand (Ziggy style)

Rolexman

Well the title says it all I think. After fixing a date gear issue I had to reassemble the dial and hands again. Then I noticed the chrono second hand was slipping so I took it off and glued it just like the pic shown here:

handrepairbc8.jpg

After putting the hand back on I noticed it still slips a little bit when restting from 30. The hand post can be excluded so it has to be the friction (or lack thereof) in the hand sleeve/ pin combo?

What do I do?

A Use some epoxy (rather not in case the movement needs servicing in the future)?

B Use a small amout of blu-tack in the sleeve to create the propper friction?

C Pinch the tube (but there is the risc of pinching it too far so that the pin doesn't fit anymore)?

D Use a small amount of 'thread-lock' on the pin (my personal favorite as it has the properties of glue but the hand can still be removed)?

E Something else.....

One trick I used a few weeks ago was to use a small pin vise (it came with my small watch drill bit set) put the hand in some clear adhesive tape so you can handle it, then you put the hand tube in the pin vise and turn very carefully to compress.

You gotta use a good loupe to be able to see the effect and I think it's better to start with very light pressure and go up from there untill you get the desired efect. :fishing1:

One trick I used a few weeks ago was to use a small pin vise (it came with my small watch drill bit set) put the hand in some clear adhesive tape so you can handle it, then you put the hand tube in the pin vise and turn very carefully to compress.

You gotta use a good loupe to be able to see the effect and I think it's better to start with very light pressure and go up from there untill you get the desired efect. :fishing1:

Thanks for the tip Manuel... little risky though <_<