When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG1: The strange case of Obama's disappearing critics

JohnG

By Jim Rutenberg

That whole anti-American, friend-to-the-terrorists thing about President-elect Barack Obama? Never mind.

Just a few weeks ago, at the height of the campaign, Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota told Chris Matthews of MSNBC that, when it came to Obama, "I'm very concerned that he may have anti-American views."

But there she was on Wednesday, after narrowly escaping defeat because of those comments, saying she was "extremely grateful that we have an African-American who has won this year." Bachmann, a Republican, called Obama's victory, which included her state, "a tremendous signal we sent."

And it was not too long ago that Senator John McCain's running mate, Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska, accused Obama of "palling around with terrorists."

But she took an entirely different tone on Thursday, when she chastised reporters for asking her questions about her war with some staff members in the McCain campaign at such a heady time. "Barack Obama has been elected president," Palin said. "Let us, let us

I would say that the particulars of President-elect Obama's platform/personal background is, or should be, well aside the fact he has African heritage and this it is an amazing milestone in US history which should be celebrated regardless of the former?

And too, you may be hitting on or perhaps, considering your own Republican ties, hinting that despite tactics that the conservatives, or any party for that matter may employ to get elected (Did Ralph Nader actually call Obama an "Uncle Tom"?!?) that it is all water under the bridge when the votes are cast, and perhaps Conservatives will do their bellyaching in the House not in the press? In other words, there is no scorn than that of a Liberal scorned. Conservatives? Meh, it's usually tied proportionally to their bank account balance.

I fully supported John McCain in the race as I had supported him since 2000. Now that the election is behind us, any body wants to jump on my President Obama? I'll kick your teeth in. He's the man. I'll defend him with some reservation to performance, but ultimately to the office he holds. Just like I did the last eight years. These are certainly great days. Two years into the term? We'll just have to see. Still, the White House will be styling regardless.

It's been hours. Don't tell me I shut down this thread with bipartisanship? Sorry John.

But you know, you really lost the base by dodging real controversy. Even if you have to invent it. Say, I dunno, call Rahm Emanuel a pro-Israeli Jew lover, or blame the whole premise on the Bush White House in the sub-header. You know the drill.

There you go. You know, honestly, the very first thing that popped into my head when I saw this the first time? I wondered what they had for lunch that day in Kenya. Probably yams and curried goat. Heck, I'd put a diaper on my head for curried any animal and a side of yams. True. True.

Awwwwe, you were going places but you just defused it.

lol, John? You do know those 'point of purchase' periodicals with Britney on the cover at the front of the store? They come with a disclaimer; "For entertainment purposes only, not to be confused with the 'news' ". :)

Besides that smear is sooooo, pre-election. Can't we all just move on?

I fully supported John McCain in the race as I had supported him since 2000. Now that the election is behind us, any body wants to jump on my President Obama? I'll kick your teeth in. He's the man. I'll defend him with some reservation to performance, but ultimately to the office he holds. Just like I did the last eight years. These are certainly great days. Two years into the term? We'll just have to see. Still, the White House will be styling regardless.

Well said sir.

I'm a huge fan of Obama and have been supporting him since the 2004 Democratic nation convention, but I really do hope the press keeps a keen eye on him. It'd be unfortunate if someone would be able to govern without criticism. That much power could be destructive. However, I don't think much'll happen in the way of real controversy. Fake issues like his terrorist ties and his faux-religion can be brought up, but they clearly hold no credibility, so lettem come. I just hope late-night TV doesn't get boring as [censored] now that an intelligent, thin, family-man is in the White House.

it seems surreal to have a President that grew up in Hawaii.. my Brother went to school with our President elect.. remembers him driving around the track while my bro was playing baseball.. our President elect was driving his ol beat up toyota with speakers on the roof campaigning for student body Pres.

they called him "Barry" back then.. not anymore !!

He grew up close to where my Parents live in Manoa... not a rich kid or pampered .. I joke with his classmates now about.. "this will jus give Punahou School something else to be "Big Headed" about".. Michelle Wei .. a host of well known international people..from Punahou .. sheesh.. only in America..

it still hasn't sunken in :huh:

JOHN!!!!! FFS!!!!!!

MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!! Oh the pain, cut out my eyes!!

I think you'll find that's John Howard (last AU PM) not Cheney.

I've just completed three terms of that twit the last thing I want to do is see him naked. I am going to have night mares now. After the other thread it's going to be Hillory and Howard. OMFG, I;m not strong enough!!!!

Col.

... not a rich kid or pampered ..

This is known, and this is key to would be conservative support of him. "Working" is the cornerstone to conservative principles. That and an almost deliberate "apartheid" of a nuclear family to the far reachings of destructive outside social influence or even government. Not bible thumpers, not corporate apologists, not pre-emptive military doctrines, not even Republicanism, whatever that means anymore. We can all rail about W. being born with a silver spoon in his mouth, as we could any Kennedy, but it is well and aside the point; both were expected, intra family, even if taken kicking and screaming into it, and aside from actual performance or result, to "work". 41 expected and demanded it from 43 all his life, of all his children. Daddy Joe expected it from Jack, of all his children. Only the innate parental "love" gave either example too much latteral wiggle room to screw up. If you think that's bullsh*t you are neither a parent, and you will have to be to understand. You just can't 'roll play' that one. And you can pick your heros but both men did. Screw up. In big ways. Iraq is a mess. Cuba almost closed the deal for a human race. So. Cast some politcal stones.

Ultimately, opinions of personality aside, both 43 and Jack found out sooner or later what "work" was. And the power of the supportive nuclear family. Say what you will, but flying an F-102 under any circumstances, captaining a PT boat under any circumstances, and campaigning against odds to sit in the chair of the most powerful seat on the globe takes "work".

I would say, from just the excerpts of his book Dreams of My Father that Barak's social 'apartheid' was more racially centered than it were a deliberate family method. Having a black father, and white mother put him centrist to racism and perhaps reverse racism. The intra family attention of his adoring mother, and white grandmother, struggling with her own racism, and winning, to see past her own grandson's mere DNA, recognizing and fostering his potential is key to where he has been, where he is and where he is going. "Work" and "Family". Screw "Democrat" and screw "Nancy Pelosi" Jack and Barak are natural born conservatives; "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country". Politico jargon, for "Get up off your ass b*tch and bust a move!"

I am of the mind that a good portion of Obama's electorate base believes they are going to get something for nothing. Uh oh. The jaws are going to drop. The cars might get over turned. I can't wait for the social shock waves by Summer's end next year. It will cause Tsunamies to other shores. The concept of redistribution of wealth in a capitalistic federal republic (the USA) can be paralleled to "opportunities" by mere definition. A bank loan to realize commerce is an opportunity as a redistribution of 'wealth'. If the faction of society that from which Barak came, and is pledging to progress in a 'trickle up' economy with good old fashioned 'work ethic' while exposing them to opportunity as reform or program out of 'spent' wealth (taxes from other strata), and they don't jump at those opportunities? With GUSTO and the economy sags? He is going to be one [censored]*d off president. He will look failed and lame. He will carry Clinton's Welfare Reform torch to the center of town and threaten to burn the mother down.

Some where along the line, his father, his grandmother, a Punahou guidence councelor, Reverend Wright, the Dean of Admission's at Harvard, or maybe even Bill Ayres, but someone looked him square in the face and said; "Man, look where you came from. You are going to have to work your ass off or they will eat you alive, then you will have no one to blame but yourself". I think that took. It had to have. He didn't have W's nor Jack's Daddy's fast track. He is going to expect no less from his new found constituents and leaders of other countries who's emmigrated citizens are considered 'minority' in others and whose patriots are economically or civily subjugated. Trust me it won't be warmly welcomed from people and leaders who thought they were in for a 'skate' because W. is out and the 'brotherman' is in. The conservatives are going to hold Baraks's feet to the fire in the House, and in the mid-term polling places. If I am to judge he will welcome the effort. Hopefully Barak will extend that consideration to those he claims to want to socially advance.

It's going to be a grand social experiment, like bringing democracy and stability into the Middle East is a grand experiment, like going to the Moon was a grand experiment. Shoot, I'm in. "Barry"? B-Rock in the House. Go time beatch.

Edited by Chancellor