When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chronomat Evolution owners out there?

bobkat

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this site and have learned so much just from reading the FAQs and very informed posts in all the different forums. I decided to take the plunge and i've been talking with a dealer regarding a breitling chronomat evo with graphite face and red "automatic" lettering that you can find at many of the dealer websites. This is the newer version with double AR (supposedly) and with more correct date font. I'm very excited about the watch as it appears to be a very fine example of how close reps can get to the originals.

My concern is with the movement is an A7750 and from what i've read on these forums this movement has made great strides in quality over the past couple of years but some report having problems after a very short time and others mention that it is best to have the movement serviced right after you buy it. I guess my question is if anyone has any experience with the a7750 as it's deployed in the BCE and if it is worthwhile for me to try and find someone who can service the watch locally (i'm in maryland).

Your comments, suggestions, and experience are certainly appreciated.

Cheers.

Just see how it runs when you get it. If you decide you'll be keeping it for a few years, consider a service, but it'll be around $200.

Thanks for the advice, 200 USD is a pretty penny for a watch that i'm buying for 300 ... but it makes sense if i'm going to wear it often i think.

The dealer i'm speaking to also suggested servicing it after a year of use.

Any tips on finding a good servicer for the a7750?

I would worry so much about the movement, it should be fine.

If it has problems after the 1st week or so the dealer should replace the watch.

If it lasts the first week plus it should last 2 years without issues.

Follow the guides here to caring and using the movement and you will be all set, there are a at least a handful of useful guide posts on this forum.

After 2 years you should get it serviced if you like the watch and want it to last for a long time, $200 is a standard figure though you may see higher as well.

Service it every 6 years or so after that ; that is part of the expense if you don't want to commit to that just wear it until it dies and buy a new one then.

You could find someone to service it by looking in the modder/repair section but why bother now.

No modder/repair guy is going to want to talk to you about a job that may or may not happen 2 years from now.

Just get the watch and enjoy it, hell of a watch for $300

Maybe you will get addicted enough after a year or two to request other mods as well as a service when the time comes;

the following upgrades are available for this watch:

relume of dial and hands (rep lume is poor on this watch, relume is much better but this watch does not need it necessarily)

better quality double AR coat from Cheiftang (much better than the rep AR), gen straps, gen dials, gen bezels, ETA movement upgrade, etc...

The first 90% can be purchased for that $300.00 the other 5% or so can cost a fortune but to some of us is worth it.

Cheers,

M

Thank you for that mreynolds! Indeed i've read over the guides several times and specifically for the a7750. I think i have most of the very important points down and will make sure to follow them so that the movement maintains its functionality.

I will consider the service later then, if I decide on keeping the watch. Let's see how addicted I become :) - I have my eye on a heritage next or maybe a planet ocean ... this is a crazy bug to catch

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this site and have learned so much just from reading the FAQs and very informed posts in all the different forums. I decided to take the plunge and i've been talking with a dealer regarding a breitling chronomat evo with graphite face and red "automatic" lettering that you can find at many of the dealer websites. This is the newer version with double AR (supposedly) and with more correct date font. I'm very excited about the watch as it appears to be a very fine example of how close reps can get to the originals.

My concern is with the movement is an A7750 and from what i've read on these forums this movement has made great strides in quality over the past couple of years but some report having problems after a very short time and others mention that it is best to have the movement serviced right after you buy it. I guess my question is if anyone has any experience with the a7750 as it's deployed in the BCE and if it is worthwhile for me to try and find someone who can service the watch locally (i'm in maryland).

Your comments, suggestions, and experience are certainly appreciated.

Cheers.

If you find someone in maryland to service your watch, could you let me know? I'm in the DC area and am looking for someone as well.

Thanks

I just got a BCE V3 and let me say this is one of the best OTB Reps hands down. One thing to keep in mind about any automatic watch is that all will need servicing at one time or another if you want to keep the same watch forever.

About the A7750 Movment.... The newer version seems to be much less problematic than the older version. I also think some of the "bad rap" comes from the Rolex Daytona models where they altered the movement to have the seconds at six. BCE's have the seconds at 3 just like the movemnt is supposed to have.

1. Never set the date (with the date function) when the hands are between 10:00 pm and 2:00 am or somewhere about that. You can search for the exact times.

2. DO NOT mess with the chronos a lot.

3. NEVER reset the chrono back to zero with it running. STOP it first then reset it.

These are just a few things I know right off. Maybe some others can chime in.