When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mb pen rep or gen? :)

arminvanbuuren

hey peeps i was wondering.. ppl said that rep pens are very easy to tell from the gen.. im interested in buying a gen mb.. n my friend is selling me his 2nd hand for 50$.. its pretty much used

i mean i dont even know the diff between gen and rep for the sake of it..

he said hes really sure that it is a gen.. but how do i tell? heres some pics.. pls help me peeps.. the only way i can tell is through serial numbers and whether it takes gen refills or not.. it's passed these 2 tests.. what else do i need to know?

2rh5kjs.jpg

and how do i tell if its a gen or a rep?

Gen should have a serial number on the ring which holds the clip, as well as some engravings on the underside of the clip itself (mine says "pix").

Mont Blanc pens are very expensive and I somehow doubt that anyone would be willing to part with one for just $50.

which part of the ring? theres serial number on the side of the clip.. i know that theres one on meisterstuck (the ring).. but this is a starwalker the ring only has writings of montblanc..

another thing the pen clip in meisterstuck can be taken away hence u can see the pix engraving on the back.. this one u cant see it because ye it has diff kind of penclips :(

Edited by arminvanbuuren

which part of the ring? theres serial number on the side of the clip.. i know that theres one on meisterstuck (the ring).. but this is a starwalker the ring only has writings of montblanc..

another thing the pen clip in meisterstuck can be taken away hence u can see the pix engraving on the back.. this one u cant see it because ye it has diff kind of penclips :(

If it has a serial number, check to see how nicely it is engraved. All of the reps have very poor, crooked, fading serial number engravings. I guess the Starwalker is different from the mesiterstucks.

This one is a rep.

post-4269-1226587024_thumb.jpg rep

post-4269-1226587320_thumb.jpg gen

If you look at a picture of the real thing you will see that there are 11 sections on the barrel of the pen between the areas that I've marked and from the top of the pen the end of the clip lines up with the end of the sixth section. On the one you've pictured here there are only nine sections and the end of the clip lines up with the end of the fifth section.

Also the fold on the end of the clip looks a little rough to me, circled in the image.

Plenty of pics of the real thing on the net....just google.

Edited to add image of gen pen

Edited by azerbyjam

• 2 months later...

This is 100% a replica and actually quite a bad one at that. The gens do not have a serial number there, they are under the clip. Also the engraved pattern on the pen is no where near deep enough. The clip is not solid throughout and the tip is too tall.

This is 100% a replica and actually quite a bad one at that. The gens do not have a serial number there, they are under the clip. Also the engraved pattern on the pen is no where near deep enough. The clip is not solid throughout and the tip is too tall.

I agree. When I saw the photo, I was waiting for the "gen" image to scroll up. Then I realized that the image above was the pen in question. Once you've looked at the differences, especially the depth of the grid work (or lack thereof), it should become very obvious.