When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Monaco

rann

Hi,

I'm new here, and this is my first post.

I was considering purchasing a real Tag Monaco Steeve McQueen version in blue, until I went to look at one, and wasn't really impressed with the quality for that kind of money (about $2900.) Only 17 Jewels, SS, leather band, etc.

So..., I'm thinking about buying a Rep. Where can I get the best one cosmetically, with decent internals (either Japanese or Swiss)? Looking to spend no more than about $250.00.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron, take a look at my sig, and follow the link to my review of a cheapie Monaco rep.

Not the best repped model I'm afraid, mainly due to there being no suitable movement with running seconds at 3 to use in the rep.

If you are after a passable rep to be proud of, you'd better look elsewhere, but if you are just after a bit of fun, then for the money they are just fine.

Good writeup Slarti; I must have missed it the first time around. The quartz Monaco is one of those terrible reps that I have often put in my online shopping cart and taken out again. I'm quite sure I will eventually buy one, and equally sure that I will end up selling or trading or donating it away.

My poison is the white dial Gulf model; who knows if the stripes are supposed to be red or orange, and if the dial is supposed to read Monaco or Gulf? The info I found on the different versions of the gen was a bit confusing.

I'm not sure why this has never been repped better; even a 21J movement with the running secs moved to 3:00 and the other hands frozen would be a huge improvement.

I was considering purchasing a real Tag Monaco Steeve McQueen version in blue, until I went to look at one, and wasn't really impressed with the quality for that kind of money (about $2900.) Only 17 Jewels, SS, leather band, etc.

Ron

Can't agree with you about not being impressed with the real Monaco. I had a replica McQueen Monaco (constant sweeping large red second hand) on a OEM dark blue Tag deploy strap/buckle and I constantly received more comments on that watch than any other one in my collection (replicas of Breitling Bentleys, Panerai, Rolex, Chopard, AP). I ended up buying a real Tag Heuer Monaco McQueen (Blue dial with white subdials) on the bracelet. The watch has been very reliable and the watch goes with everything (suits to jeans) and I receive positive comments on the watch at least once a week. Despite the size and unique aspects of Panerai and others, the Monaco's square case is eye catching and still cutting end.

Buy the rep and you will end up owning the real thing!!

TimeShare