When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine?

b16a2

I have seen this Navitimer which is owned by someone who thinks it's genuine. I am hoping it is the real thing but something doesn't look right;

Lack of AR

Wrong datefont + sunken datewheel

Subdials run into the little markers around the outside of the dial

Date window isn't correct

The shape of the arabic numbers are wrong - too fat and cut out too much by the subdials

What do you think?

Navi-Hamster-timer.jpg

navitimer.jpg

You are right that the datewheel looks sunken. I'm certainly no Navitimer expert...but the rest of the watch looks alright to me. The main thing I'm going by is that the slide rule markings seem to line up all the way around. The 60 is set a little towards 1-o-clock on the outside ring, but the other markings line up seemingly an equal amount relative to the amount that the red 60 sits towards 1-o-clock.

If you have a chance to line things up exactly, and all the markings all the way around line up...that's usually an indicator.

I'm not sure how much the gen datewheel is sunken.

You are right that the datewheel looks sunken. I'm certainly no Navitimer expert...but the rest of the watch looks alright to me. The main thing I'm going by is that the slide rule markings seem to line up all the way around. The 60 is set a little towards 1-o-clock on the outside ring, but the other markings line up seemingly an equal amount relative to the amount that the red 60 sits towards 1-o-clock.

If you have a chance to line things up exactly, and all the markings all the way around line up...that's usually an indicator.

I'm not sure how much the gen datewheel is sunken.

Yeh that's what puzzled me. It appears to line up, which would suggest a gen/21k Navitimer which had the correct case. But the datefont and subdials are indicative of the 28k Navitimer.

Well here's the story, and the conclusion....

I was on TZ and noticed the first picture (at the top of this thread) It struck me how the datewheel appeared sunken, and the lack of AR. I saved the picture and zoomed in and noticed the other flaws as mentioned at the top.

I posted on Timezone that I would recommend an authenticity check for the following reasons...bla bla bla.

Eventually after a bit of discussion, the original poster replied saying that it was indeed a replica given to him by a friend. He wanted to highlight how good replicas can be and that he didn't mean to inconvenience anyone....what a load of tosh. He has made multiple posts in the past of this Navitimer, and it has been unquestioned. It really worries me that people like this will try and sell it as the real deal without box or papers to some undiscerning person.

Well let it be a warning to people like that, us rep collectors will make sure that they get their upcomance!

on forums people don't really care and this may go unnoticed in the casual conversation, its not a horrible rep after all, BUT if he was selling it - he would have a hard time. most people require authenticity check by the dealer or watchmaker. In this business you buy a person not a watch..

Well here's the story, and the conclusion....

I was on TZ and noticed the first picture (at the top of this thread) It struck me how the datewheel appeared sunken, and the lack of AR. I saved the picture and zoomed in and noticed the other flaws as mentioned at the top.

I posted on Timezone that I would recommend an authenticity check for the following reasons...bla bla bla.

Eventually after a bit of discussion, the original poster replied saying that it was indeed a replica given to him by a friend. He wanted to highlight how good replicas can be and that he didn't mean to inconvenience anyone....what a load of tosh. He has made multiple posts in the past of this Navitimer, and it has been unquestioned. It really worries me that people like this will try and sell it as the real deal without box or papers to some undiscerning person.

Well let it be a warning to people like that, us rep collectors will make sure that they get their upcomance!