When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Diff between Asian SOSF and Swiss SOSF?

Guest Dr.TuB

As I understand it the Swiss ETA movement is not REALLY a Swiss ETA movement..it is a Swiss ETA Asian clone movement

Please correct me if I am wrong

Bill

As I understand it the Swiss ETA movement is not REALLY a Swiss ETA movement..it is a Swiss ETA Asian clone movement

Please correct me if I am wrong

Depends on who you buy it from...and how diligent you are in checking. Sometimes you pay for Swiss and you get ETA clone...complain, send the watch back, and odds are good you'll ge the right one.

I'm not so sure that most of the collectors know the difference visually...they aren't watch experts...so even if it went through QC/QA, it would pass through. They likely take the word of their factories...which are factories engaged in an illegal business, so take their "word" with a grain of salt.

Chris did a photo comparison in his section of how he QCs the difference and ensures you get the right movement you paid for.

Thanks Toad

Now I am more confused..:)

Let me ask you this

I have ordered the new V2 2008 Sub from WM9...

Will I get a clone ETA or a genuine Swiss ETA or is it a crap shoot?

Surely George knows what he is building right?

Bill

Thanks Toad

Now I am more confused..:)

Let me ask you this

I have ordered the new V2 2008 Sub from WM9...

Will I get a clone ETA or a genuine Swiss ETA or is it a crap shoot?

Surely George knows what he is building right?

To be honest...I don't know. You can ask him to double check and ensure it's a gen Swiss movement.

That's why there have been a few sales here and service projects to The Zigmeister and others where the users thought they were getting the real deal...then when The Zigmeister tries to fit gen parts in...finds they don't...does a close exam and finds that it isn't an ETA but a very good copy....HMMMMMMMMM...

...or in the case of sales, the seller thinks they are selling a gen movement. The buyer thinks they bought a gen movement...but when they crack it open finds out it isn't. What's the honourable thing to do? Refund or adjust price. Either way...the original buyer takes a hit. Bummer.

What's the honorable thing to do?

Speaking as a 10+ year eBay seller The honorable thing to do is to understand what you are selling and provide an accurate description..if the item you sell is not as described a refund is in order..no ifs ands or buts...

passing ones mistakes on to the next customer is not honorable whether intentional or not

Karma is a tricky [censored]..:)

Bill