When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dollar getting stronger and the

Tomhighway

They've been around for 58 years...weathered the apartheid... their technology looks good- probably will be much more in demand when oil prices head up again... strikes and demonstrations still occur there but from everything I've read the political situation in South Africa is fairly stable and they seem to be OK as a corporation with regards to political liability.

Keeping it very on topic...I really feel for the folks who are just trying to simply buy a timepiece, and its like shooting a moving target with exchange rates. We have crossed into a realm of irrationality with these markets (speaking from a daily volatility standpoint) and its never fun/pretty to see it add another layer of BS into life, pleasures etc.

I couldn't agree more... that's what really gets people depressed...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've been around for 58 years...weathered the apartheid... their technology looks good- probably will be much more in demand when oil prices head up again... strikes and demonstrations still occur there but from everything I've read the political situation in South Africa is fairly stable and they seem to be OK as a corporation with regards to political liability.

They're about a decade behind Zimbabwe, in my opinion. Take a look at the Everbank CD rates. SA is paying around 8 or 9 percent. It's a scary place and it gets worse by the day. They are rich in natural resources but the natives are determined to kill the golden goose.

I noticed some comparisons to Zimbabwe but I think they'll be ok for at least the next few years...just my opinion though I wouldn't buy their stock to retire with... I wouldn't be surprised to see a company like RDS, BP, or XOM try to scoop them up for the technology...there's been speculation about that for a bit...

I like RDS but not XOM. XOM will bear American rep stigma for a while.

SSL has a good dividend and I think someone is going to scoop them up when things turn around. The Chinese/Indians should be interested in them as well.

The political situation in SA is definately an issue that has kept me on the sideline, till now. Just put my tow in it. at 20.60 and 9.5 yield couldn't resist. Picked 200 and will visit again end of December.

I agree about XOM...especially with their profit margins the last few years (and the fact that their earnings set records). I think the majority of the public believes BP and RDS are more "environmentally friendly" and working hard on alternative energy, though XOM is too... congrats on going in on SSL!