When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Fa Jones Running 5-10 Min Fast Per Day

watchgrl

For those who know how to do it, it's an extremely easy fix.

You have to open up the back of the case and very patiently adjust that long pointy marker towards the - (slower) setting.

Don't try this at home if you don't have a jeweler's loupe and the microscopic-head screwdriver needed to undo the series of screws on the back.

Better take it to a watch shop and have them do it: it should cost next to nothing. If you have some income to dispose of (it shouldn't take much) have the person service (clean and oil) the movement at the same time.

If done properly, you should end up with a watch which will run to within a second or two per day of perfect time - and which will go on running perfectly for years.

Is this usually an easy fix? My husband's 2 week old FA Jones is running 5-10 minutes fast per day...

Best get rid of it. I'll give you $50 for it right now, out of sheer generosity. :D

2-weeks old? Contact your dealer and get it replaced.

For those who know how to do it, it's an extremely easy fix.

Normally, I'd agree, but 5-10 minutes a day?

I did this recently on a F.A. Jones and it was easy. Carefully remove the screws in the back, remove the case and keep the screws in a container. Use the long adjuster arm and move it in the direction to reduce or speed up as needed. At first you don't know how much to move it so start with a full measured mark to mark on the scale. Check in 8 hours to see the change. On your experience, make smaller and smaller adjustments until you are satisfied.

I did this for a few weeks (did not reattach the back) until I was satisfied. I got it to about 3 to 4 seconds a day. then applied loc tite to the screws and reassembled?

Usil

Edited by Usil

Guest overboosted

Very easy to what ryyannon said but I dont think there is that much adjustment in there.

I would just be happy to have a nice rep of a cool watch. Its a rep, not perfect. made in China for cheap, not Switzerland. welcome to the game.

That adjustment will not correct 5 - 10 minutes per day; there's something else going on with the watch- Perhaps a tangled hairspring, or maybe no lubrication in the pivots. Probably best to see about getting it serviced as:

1) You'll have a good base line for servicing and a well oiled movement.

2) There's no telling what might be wrong with a replacement.

Just my $0.02 on the matter...

Best get rid of it. I'll give you $50 for it right now, out of sheer generosity. :D

2-weeks old? Contact your dealer and get it replaced.

Normally, I'd agree, but 5-10 minutes a day?

That is a red flag, but you have to determine where they put the regulator. Apparently none of them were set exactly between 'fast' and 'slow' (+ & -) and if it's waaaay over to the right, that would explain why it's running fast.

If not, yeah, I'd query the dealer for a replacement....

And Hello, Paris guys!

That is a red flag, but you have to determine where they put the regulator. Apparently none of them were set exactly between 'fast' and 'slow' (+ & -) and if it's waaaay over to the right, that would explain why it's running fast.

If not, yeah, I'd query the dealer for a replacement....

And Hello, Paris guys!

Thanks. It is pushed way over to the right. Will give that a try and see what happens!

Hello from Paris. Actually, I am sitting in a hotel room in S. Africa at the moment but at least I have the

forum to pass the time.

ubiquitous is right, the change needed may be beyond the regulator arm maximum adjustment point.

Is there cheep or free computer software that allows a microphone to listen to the watch beat and display timing on a chart - allowing real time settings?

Usil

That happened to me too. I adjusted the regulator and it was still 2 minutes fast a day. I found that I should only wind the watch only once every 24 hours, instead of winding every hour, and it was brought to fast 10 seconds a day. I did this because I recall reading a post from Purists on manual wind watches, that consistency in winding is important to get an accurate picture of the timekeeping.

I did this recently on a F.A. Jones and it was easy. Carefully remove the screws in the back, remove the case and keep the screws in a container. Use the long adjuster arm and move it in the direction to reduce or speed up as needed. At first you don't know how much to move it so start with a full measured mark to mark on the scale. Check in 8 hours to see the change. On your experience, make smaller and smaller adjustments until you are satisfied.

I did this for a few weeks (did not reattach the back) until I was satisfied. I got it to about 3 to 4 seconds a day. then applied loc tite to the screws and reassembled?

Usil

I have ther same problem with a pam (unitas)

To adjust the + or -, do I have to unscrew something in the movement ?

89936-28574.jpg

Edited by Gerco

bump

No. I just use something small to move the lever which ever way you need to. No need to unscrew anything.

Thanks overboosted !