When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best place to buy a watch tool kit?

vikkyrob

I am looking to start doing basic watch tinkering with the aim of learning how to service the movement eventually. Where is the best place to buy a tool kit and which tools are essential?

Cheers

Rob

I'd say, use the "search-button"... Take a look at Birdman's site, he sells tools, also you should check watch-tools.de, cousinsuk, ofrei, ...

Just take a look with the search button..

I would say get a few good quality tools from cousinsuk Rob, basics include a decent set of screw drivers, movement holders, hand removers and setters, patience, rodico, a couple of sets of tweasers, pin vises, various case back openers, case holders, patience, a couple of loupes 3x and a 10 x i find good, patience, peg wood, pith wood, patience and a couple of large shot glasses (for covering open movements with to stop dust. oh and a dust plower.

For a beginner with serious intentions (or more than 1 watch to work on), I would start with the Timezone School Level 1 tool kit, but ask them to leave out the movement (as long as you do not need a movement to practice with). Unless you already know which tools you need (& how can a beginner without any tools possibly know that), this kit contains a good, basic set of quality tools that you can build from.