When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinion on this 201/A

mwee

when you ask here and you want to know about the details for a 201A,

then better you read first in the forum and my topic about the 201A.

you will get all informations which you need for your decision.

and you will find enough gen 201A images in connection with google to make your own comparison.

rolli

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=84140

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=86663

Hi,

I have read your wonderful posts on your wonderful 201/A. Very nice pics. I was just thinking of asking for some opinions on this particular one if its any good?

when you ask here and you want to know about the details for a 201A,

then better you read first in the forum and my topic about the 201A.

you will get all informations which you need for your decision.

and you will find enough gen 201A images in connection with google to make your own comparison.

rolli

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=84140

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=86663

it is not the question whether it is good or not.

the question is always, what is the goal, and then you can ask.

but when you stop on the half way of your goal, then you cannot get applause.

and when you say your images show the final product. then you also get no applause.

you exactly know what parts you need for a final version.

rolli

Hi,

I have read your wonderful posts on your wonderful 201/A. Very nice pics. I was just thinking of asking for some opinions on this particular one if its any good?

Very nice 201/A, really is. A lot of tought and attention to detail went into creating this one.

IMO...

The dial is newer edition DSN 201/A, it had been filled-in with vintage color T-lume then varnished, and attention was made to create that non-matching tritium hands/dial look.

Case is rep case double-screw ended like the gen 201/A was. However the case dimensions and some finer case details are not exactly 1:1 or even close to the gen 201/A, like less sloping case corners and diferent look/shape lugs. Caseback is standard DSN, not bad, but the standard rep 201/A caseback comes with better and closer to 1:1 txt engraving, and is thicker and mounted higher when screwed, than the one shown.

CG isn't bad, lever is centered, but overal lacks the gen CG thickness. You can notice that by checking how far it sits off the bottom of the case. See if you can source now long gone V CG. Crown could also benefit from upgarde, the new T-48 crown would be a nicer fit, IMO.

Overal not bad...how's the xtal, non-A/R sapphire ?

Wear it well, :-)

babola

for me - the big problem with this case is the lug holes. I think that they are too large and will not work for the gen-like lug screw assembly that you will eventually want to put on there.

Agree, although the only double-screw ended lug screws I know about so far is the one offered by dealer Mary Xu (www.swissgallory.com...that's gallory not gallery) and DSN. Neither are gen-like, unfortunately.

But since they're the only ones we can get at the moment (to my knowledge, anyway) that's as good as it gets, in anticipation of the better ones.

cheers,

babola

Agree, although the only double-screw ended lug screws I know about so far is the one offered by dealer Mary Xu (www.swissgallory.com...that's gallory not gallery) and DSN. Neither are gen-like, unfortunately.

But since they're the only ones we can get at the moment (to my knowledge, anyway) that's as good as it gets, in anticipation of the better ones.

cheers,

babola

Proper 1:1 preV screws are available from a board member here. They fit the unthreaded lug and the threaded side needs to be drilled to match.

BTW, this 201A is DSN's interpretation of the the preV Logo and has many inaccuracies.

Proper 1:1 preV screws are available from a board member here. They fit the unthreaded lug and the threaded side needs to be drilled to match.

BTW, this 201A is DSN's interpretation of the the preV Logo and has many inaccuracies.

I'm actualy talking about the whole caseset rather than lug screws sets alone. I bought mine double ended screws that are very 1:1 from eBay member, but failed miserably when tried to drill the lugs to acomodate these. Ended up with damaged case. The 316L steel is extremely hard and dificult to work with for most of us DYI enthusiasts, so probably best to be left to the pros. So far I haven't been able to find one who is willing to do this mod. If you know anyone, do let me (us) know.

The case above could well be DSN, but it looks extremely close to Mary's case as well. DSN's "true" 20X/A cases were very wrong to start with (not even close to the one shown above), I'm not sure if he's realeased the updated second version.

cheers,

babola

I'm actualy talking about the whole caseset rather than lug screws sets alone. I bought mine double ended screws that are very 1:1 from eBay member, but failed miserably when tried to drill the lugs to acomodate these. Ended up with damaged case. The 316L steel is extremely hard and dificult to work with for most of us DYI enthusiasts, so probably best to be left to the pros. So far I haven't been able to find one who is willing to do this mod. If you know anyone, do let me (us) know.

The case above could well be DSN, but it looks extremely close to Mary's case as well. DSN's "true" 20X/A cases were very wrong to start with (not even close to the one shown above), I'm not sure if he's realeased the updated second version.

cheers,

babola

Agreed, DSN's first '2-screw' preV cases were terrible with the crown position wrong etc. I think that he did improve them. This looks like his CG and it's his dial, caseback & screw type so it may be his latest attempt.

BTW, I modified my own case by using small round files rather than a drill because I was scared than I would mess it up. Round Swiss files may be more amateur than pro but it gets the job done without the drama. Was the ebay seller of the screws UK based?

Agreed, DSN's first '2-screw' preV cases were terrible with the crown position wrong etc. I think that he did improve them. This looks like his CG and it's his dial, caseback & screw type so it may be his latest attempt.

BTW, I modified my own case by using small round files rather than a drill because I was scared than I would mess it up. Round Swiss files may be more amateur than pro but it gets the job done without the drama. Was the ebay seller of the screws UK based?

Cool mate,

will try that method next time, thankx for the heads up!

babola

Babola...Which case did you end up buying from this site..Can you link to it mate?

Didn't end up getting one for myself as I didn't like the lug profile on that case, and the fact that the screw heads were slightly too big when compared to gen pre-V ones. Talk to 'hooligan' and 'legendofspeed' admins from the Dark Side for more info. The trick is to order the case set alone, not the whole watch, Mary will do that apparently without any issues.

It's the case that comes with Mary's PAM111G, notice the odd looking CG and lever?.

Here is the link: http://www.swissgallory.com/products_detail.asp?Id=801

The picture that shows the left side of the case (non CG side) with screw heads visible has been removed since last time I looked at it, but this is the odd case that comes with dual screw set like the one shown in the original post above. This is why I believe the case above is Mary's not DSN's as I haven't seen DSN pre-V case with the crown centered inside the CG yet.

Best to contact Mary directly, she's sold quite a few casesets alone, so she will know exactly where you're comming from.

cheers,

babola

Just had another good look at Mary's 111G case set with dual lug screws - http://www.swissgallory.com/products_detail.asp?Id=801

I'm now even more convinced the case shown by "mwee" above is her's and not DSN's. DSN pre-V lugs are shorter and fall steeply, and his CG is slightly different. The CG above looks like Mary's 111G, just re-brushed. Check the CG position and how close it sits towards the top of the case as well as how much of the CG is missing at the bottom.

I could be wrong though...;-)

I wonder how this case compares to the old 005 cases that actually had the 201/A casebacks by mistake??

I recently contacted DSN about a case set and this is exactly one of his pics that he sent me as well.

My hunt is on for an acceptable case set as well. Tougher than it looks when you start concentrating on all the little details.

Hi guys,

Sorry my bad. Should have mentioned that this is a DSN watch. I have been in contact with him recently in ordering a watch for a fellow member from RG as he does not have moneybookers acc. So far, he has been quite nice and communications have been excellent!

I am no expert on whether this case is right or not. To me this looks good and the CG seems acceptable. I do have a V CG but hoping that might not need to use it. I ask DSN and he claims he is now using standard rep cases. To me that is also good news so that changing parts like crown would not be an issue right?

I have a FGD dial coming in and already have the T48 crowns, so that should make it look good. As for the case, is this one acceptable Babola?

I have been reading about the correct case for a 201A and it seems really hard to find. This looks really nice to me and my other concern is the caseback, if it is accurate? I was told about Eddie Lee casebacks but again, I presume that is going to be hard to get unless someone has one and is willing to sell?

Thanks for all the feedback!

it is not the question whether it is good or not.

the question is always, what is the goal, and then you can ask.

but when you stop on the half way of your goal, then you cannot get applause.

and when you say your images show the final product. then you also get no applause.

you exactly know what parts you need for a final version.

rolli

Hi Rolli,

Sorry if this rubbed you in the wrong way. To me, its a simple thread of asking for advice from esteemd members (such as yourself) if this particualr variant of the 201A is good or not. To me, that is the question, good or no good.

I still consider myself a novice andn though I know that a FGD dial, T Crown would make it better, I beleive I have stated my opinion that the V CG might not be needed as this looks good too. However, I just needed to check if I am right or not, I have also asked specific question like the caseback's accuracy. I am not looking for applause as I never claimed this to be mine. It was a specific question asking for advise on whether this version is good or not. As for parts for a final version, I dont know about that. Final version? the thing about RWG is that there is no final version. At least that's how I see it. There will always be members coming up with innovative ways to make the reps even better, people like V, FGD. I am sure that more will come. That is the whole fun right?

As for the case, is this one acceptable Babola?

As I said above, it's OK, not perfect but close enough.

The closest rep case that would fit the 201/A bill that I've come across in the last 4 years, is the thicker (higher) standard 44mm Pam rep case that used to come with those firts 001/002 watches in early '05 and thru good part of '06. You would recognise it by chunkier and shorther lugs with almost 1:1 downward curvature like gen 201/A, no cutout between the lugs, higher and more correct bezel, and non-A/R treated sapphire xtal with perfect bevelled edge and correct position just above the top edge of the bezel. Also the inside of the case was perfectly machined, the overal fit and feel was very close to JimmyFu case although they fit different PAM series.

These chunkier cases are now long gone unfortunately, I still have one and use it on my 001B, the second I've sold as 002B to "andyaudi" and the third was damaged by myself when widening the lugs to accept double-ended screws.

Again, just like with everything rep-wise, you had to be there at the right time at the right place. Funny thing was that back in 2005 not many of us knew how "important" these cases would become in that neverending search of the 'perfect' 201/A rep/hommage :)

@iheartwatches - the standard 201/A rep casebacks that came with those early 000 & 005 reps simply by mistake and the fact that rep makers didn't have correct 000/005 caseback, were IMO the best and closest ever 201/A rep caseback produced. Most of those came with serial 0348 and few other common numbers. I have one, and guarding it well :-) Once I finaly get all the ingredients of the 201/A mix, it will go on that watch. I contacted few dealers in the past few months to see if they can source a spare, but all said they're not being made anymore. Keep your eye on sale forums, who knows it may appear as a spare part for sale.

cheers,

babola

I frgot.

You guys probably already know this but for those who do not (like me). The CG jas a little upgrade. DSn has added a rubber thing to the lever so that it is not floppy. See pics :

DSNCG.jpg

DSNCG2.jpg

DSNCG3.jpg

I suppose this is a innovative idea from him. Should be a good idea in terms of practicality though it sure does not look like the gen at all? I suppose this wont be seen so its not an issue. Still a nice CG. :)

1.) how exact fits the davidsen crown-guard with the cartel rep case ???

2.) does have the CG the same domed upper side like the case ???

rolli

Hi Rolli,

Davidsen told me this is his new CG. So maybe he made it to fit standard rep case? As for your second point, you lost me there bro. However, I will be getting this watch soon and once I do will take some pics and post them. :)

As I said above, it's OK, not perfect but close enough.

The closest rep case that would fit the 201/A bill that I've come across in the last 4 years, is the thicker (higher) standard 44mm Pam rep case that used to come with those firts 001/002 watches in early '05 and thru good part of '06. You would recognise it by chunkier and shorther lugs with almost 1:1 downward curvature like gen 201/A, no cutout between the lugs, higher and more correct bezel, and non-A/R treated sapphire xtal with perfect bevelled edge and correct position just above the top edge of the bezel. Also the inside of the case was perfectly machined, the overal fit and feel was very close to JimmyFu case although they fit different PAM series.

These chunkier cases are now long gone unfortunately, I still have one and use it on my 001B, the second I've sold as 002B to "andyaudi" and the third was damaged by myself when widening the lugs to accept double-ended screws.

Again, just like with everything rep-wise, you had to be there at the right time at the right place. Funny thing was that back in 2005 not many of us knew how "important" these cases would become in that neverending search of the 'perfect' 201/A rep/hommage :)

@iheartwatches - the standard 201/A rep casebacks that came with those early 000 & 005 reps simply by mistake and the fact that rep makers didn't have correct 000/005 caseback, were IMO the best and closest ever 201/A rep caseback produced. Most of those came with serial 0348 and few other common numbers. I have one, and guarding it well :-) Once I finaly get all the ingredients of the 201/A mix, it will go on that watch. I contacted few dealers in the past few months to see if they can source a spare, but all said they're not being made anymore. Keep your eye on sale forums, who knows it may appear as a spare part for sale.

cheers,

babola

Is this the caseback (and case) you are refering to, Babola? The caseback seems like it, but this case is brushed with polished bezel...

23112008094.jpg

Hi Rolli,

Davidsen told me this is his new CG. So maybe he made it to fit standard rep case? As for your second point, you lost me there bro. However, I will be getting this watch soon and once I do will take some pics and post them. :)

I think what Rolli's 2nd point is: Does the top side of the CG raised instead of flat. Like the H series and later CG is thicker and raised (curve) on the top side. Where the pre H series almost flat.

I can say 100% for sure that DSN's CG, even the newer one does not look or close to H series CG. Just recently got a 207A from him and the CG while on the top view does look similar on the top side, but on the side view it is just like the regular, non raised top side.