When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Link Chrono What defects acceptable?

anteck7

Hello,

Just purchased my first rep. I got it the day before I had to go on a trip and didn't get to play with it or examine it really. Today was the first day I really got to examine the watch.

Flaws i have found are...

Date window appears to be punched in funny, it should have a beveled box shape, but the one edge is slightly raised. In the detail lines some of them, especially close to the center break up or appear like they have specks of dirt on them. You cant see it from far, but under close examination these are pretty obvious flaws.

So members, I ask you as a noob, Is this something i should expect? Or is just how the replica trade works. I would love to post pictures, but i cant seem to capture a good shot of the watch due to the lack of AR.

Just purchased my first rep. I got it the day before I had to go on a trip and didn't get to play with it or examine it really. Today was the first day I really got to examine the watch.

Flaws i have found are...

Date window appears to be punched in funny, it should have a beveled box shape, but the one edge is slightly raised. In the detail lines some of them, especially close to the center break up or appear like they have specks of dirt on them. You cant see it from far, but under close examination these are pretty obvious flaws.

Do a search on the Link. Lordrasta among others have posted pics of them, and I'm sure there is a review of it. Compare yours with that in the review to determine if yours are particularly bad...or something that is common with the rep.

Some reps like IWC repeaters, a few Chopards, etc have much more glaring flaws like spelling errors on the dial, movements, crown, etc. Other reps have more subtle flaws like rehaut size, crown shape, lume filling errors, etc. All will have flaws that can be spotted a mile away to a true WIS.

The question of whether or not to return it or ask for a fix is to determine if your flaws are exceptionally bad (e.g. 8 hr power reserve, slipped datewheel, missing hands, crooked printing, really crooked lume, etc)...and for that you'll find some great pics of the Link reps on this site.

Yes,

I dont expect the rep to be made 100% true to a gen, but i woudl expect it to be made true to itself. IE, I know it may have glaring differences (IE wrong date font) from a GEN because it is a rep. However, i was not sure if having a flaw like a dirty dial would be a flaw, or something you just deal with.

Another example: I recently brought replica plastics for my motorcycle. I knew they woudnt fit like the Honda manufactured ones, but I woudnt accept paint drips, or decals with bubbles under them.

I take it from you guys that the only reason to return a rep is a show stopper of sorts (something that stops you from wearing the watch, or really non functional). I can accept that, I just wanted a better idea of what the community standards are.

Start reading the reviews and you'll find out what people have or have not put up with or dealt with themselves.

e.g. dust on the dial. If you are [censored] off by this...send it back for $20, wait 2 months to get a new watch...or deal with it and fix it yourself and always have the watch on hand while having learned a few skills (and possibly wrecked your watch in the process) ;)

There are lots of threads around with people wondering what to do about certain flaws...fix it themselves or send it back. Unfortunately as one Noob member put it, collectors here provide pretty reasonable service given that it is an illegal industry, however, they don't bend over backwards to win you as a client on your first few purchases. After you have dealt with them for awhile, you may get things from like parts being sent to replace faulty ones (but no payment for labour) for no charge...but you have to have a positive relationship with the collector first.

E.g.

• Broken clasp doesn't close - get a replacement or return it depending on what the collector will do for you
  • Dust on dials - deal with it and fix it yourself
  • Hands aren't at 12-o-clock on date rollover - Deal with it or fix it yourself
  • Datewheel doesn't change at all - return it for service
  • Wrong watch - return it for replacement (return shipping at your cost unfortunately)

Again...some flaws are notorious (e.g. crooked markers on an IWC 3717-01, wrong feet on the Omega logo of UPOs, spelling errors on Chopards, etc) and you have to deal with them.

What to do depends on what you determine as routine vs. exceptional based on your research on reviews and posts here, and your willingness to try and tackle things on your own, and your willingness to be without a watch for 2 months.