When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oyster Datejust

RobbieG

Since posting some wristshots of my Datejust on the Oyster bracelet with the new wider lugged case I have recieved a lot of PM's asking me my wrist size in an attempt to try and figure out why a 36MM watch doesn't look particularly small in the pics. The short answer is that the watch just doesn't wear small. My wrist in all the pics has always been 7.5" which is by no means small, and these watches have amazing precence for the size.

One observation though: For some reason shirt sleves create quite a frame with tis watch in particular and without a shirt sleve at or near the edge of the case the watch starts to look smaller for some reason. But as long as you wear long sleeves with these, even the largest wristed guy will be able to carry it without it looking like a ladies watch. I will say though that really big and burly guys will probably lose the optical illusion help factor in their overall size so that may not hold true. But anyone say under 6' with an average build or smaller will never be thinking the watch is tiny when being objective. The key of course is to be able to be objective. We have come so used to the huge watches lately that a relative comparison will defeat the purpose of looking at size as relative as we should. We should be able to objectively judge size as it relates to attire, etc. IMO. One should not be too caught up in any one size or range of sizes either.

Remember, a huge watch doesn't always look good evenif it is a cool watch in every other way. Neither is a Datejust appropriate for every dress code. It depends on the occasiuon and what you are wearing. Evertime I see a guy in a restaurant with a cufflink shirt pushed back behind a Super Avenger I chuckle to myself a bit. Usually because they don't realize how silly they look. Nothing against the SA. The point being there is a time and place for every watch and being aware is a good life goal in general. Anyway, I mostly wanted to answer some PM's as a group and point out that many may want to take another look at the 36MM Rollies again. I know I did and I have been very glad I did. I'm enjoying the rediscovery of this so-called small watch that is actually quite big in many ways...

DJmini1.jpg

DJ13.jpg

Whether pajamas qualify as appropriate Datejust attire, I am not sure...

Looks to scale to me, and very nice.

Datejusts come in so many styles, flavors, and colors that any guy or gal should find something to their liking.

I know I have.

Just as much variety in bands and straps.

Carl

DJ has always been my favorite since i started to get into good watches.

i used to wear Casios, etc. until i turned 40. i bought myself a basic white SS oyster

DJ. that was before i got 'the fever'. now i have 2 gens and about 4-5 reps.

earlier today i posted her sister in the begin wrist check. here's the big sister:

post-12024-1227578332_thumb.jpg

And from that pic I would reconfirm that no one would see it and think for a second that it was somehow out of proportion and/or appeared small on the wrist as seems to be felt by many lately as a consequence of us all getting used to seeing huge watches in every picture.

DJ has always been my favorite since i started to get into good watches.

i used to wear Casios, etc. until i turned 40. i bought myself a basic white SS oyster

DJ. that was before i got 'the fever'. now i have 2 gens and about 4-5 reps.

earlier today i posted her sister in the begin wrist check. here's the big sister: