When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob 1st post

Iggy

Hello Everyone,

I found this site when my adult son told me he was saving for an expensive watch (James Bond Omega Seamaster). I thought I would just buy it for him until I found out it sold for $2,200.00 USD! Now I am in the market for a replica instead.

Also, I was given an Omega Seamaster DE VILLE Quartz by my professor upon getting my Graduate degree 25 years ago. It quit working within a couple of years and I put it in a drawer for a decade. About 8 years ago, I tried to send it back to Omega through my local jeweler, but was told that they could not (or would not) fix it. I noticed that a lot of watch repair is outlined in this forum and now think I might be able to replace the movement completely and get it to work again. (although looking at it, there is a huge amount of wear on it)

This forum is quite a find.

Iggy

I found this site when my adult son told me he was saving for an expensive watch (James Bond Omega Seamaster). I thought I would just buy it for him until I found out it sold for $2,200.00 USD! Now I am in the market for a replica instead.

Also, I was given an Omega Seamaster DE VILLE Quartz by my professor upon getting my Graduate degree 25 years ago...I noticed that a lot of watch repair is outlined in this forum and now think I might be able to replace the movement completely and get it to work again. (although looking at it, there is a huge amount of wear on it)

Welcome aboard. You did indeed find the right place for watches. RWG is the best watch forum around. We have the coolest people, and some of the best watchmakers, collectors, and masters of ephemera around...including the gen forums. RWG is about watches and community...and not just replicas.

To get you up and running quickly...read my Noob Guide:

Noob-Background.jpg

This will get you oriented to the board and replicas, and also include some links to actually doing some work on watches. I've posted a couple tutorials on swapping mechanical movements to get you started on the type of tools you'll need and the work involved. Sourcing a movement that will fit your Omega might not be too much of an issue...and likely the people on this forum will be able to steer you towards either what you need or an alternative to it.

Good luck...and enjoy the journey.

As to the your son's watch...if it's for a special occasion...nothing beats a genuine. ;)

I can give youy a quote for restoration of your omega if you send to me-regards Michael