When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to Install a T48 or T60

Leifhaus

I just ordered a T48 crown and stem for my 112, I was wondering if someone with experience in this would be interested in posting a tutorial with a list of tools, similar to the tutorials on the Rolex page. I'm sure it's a simple procedure, but I'd hate to attempt this and screw up my watch without some guidance.

If it's already listed deep in the archive maybe it could be made a sticky.

Thanks in advance.

1- Remove the case back

2- pull out the crown to the handchange position

3- slowly unscrew the small screw that sits beside the crown stem no more than one and a half turns.

4- gently pull the stem out of the movement.

5 - Chances are you are going to need a new stem with the T crown as the rep stem will probably be too short for the deep thread in the new T crowns.

If not just grab the square part of the stem with long nose pliers and unscrew the rep crown...Now just screw the new T crown onto the stem.

6 - Place the stem back into the movement, tighten the small screw and push the crown in to the winding position...Adjust the screw a little tighter and you're done.

New Stem-

This is a little bit of trial and error as you need to shorten the new stem but not make it too short.

You can't go by the original one as the T crown has a deeper thread.

Once you have shortened the stem then place it back into the movement...If it is still too long then try and shorten again until you have it perfect.

Tighten the small screw and push the crown in to the winding position...Adjust the screw a little tighter and you're done.

Good luck.

Let me just add to bwhitesox's very good howto:

For a T48 on a 6497 the new stem needs to be shortened to approximately 13,2mm, minor variations (behind the comma) might be due to tiny differences among cases and also the number of o-rings you use in your crown. Don't forget to remove these o-rings from your old crown, silicon grease them and apply them (in the same order) to your T-crown. Other than previous replacements crowns (ie Palp), the T-Crown does not require you to sand down the tip of the CG lever - you can leave it as it is. You can cut the stem with a fine wire cutter. Look at the tip of the stem's thread with a loupe and sand the tip if needed.

To remove an old stem from the rep-crown can sometimes be tricky. Applying a little heat to the crown (with a soldering iron) sometimes helps loosening the thread locker or glue so you can unscrew the crown. Don't rely on this to work in every instance. You need a little force to unscrew and sometimes.... the old stem will rather break. Have a new stem ready (just in case). Also, as you wont have a comparison ensemble to measure the length (stem outside the crown) - measure before you unscrew.

WOW Thanks a lot for this information.

Let me just add to bwhitesox's very good howto:

For a T48 on a 6497 the new stem needs to be shortened to approximately 13,2mm, minor variations (behind the comma) might be due to tiny differences among cases and also the number of o-rings you use in your crown. Don't forget to remove these o-rings from your old crown, silicon grease them and apply them (in the same order) to your T-crown. Other than previous replacements crowns (ie Palp), the T-Crown does not require you to sand down the tip of the CG lever - you can leave it as it is. You can cut the stem with a fine wire cutter. Look at the tip of the stem's thread with a loupe and sand the tip if needed.

To remove an old stem from the rep-crown can sometimes be tricky. Applying a little heat to the crown (with a soldering iron) sometimes helps loosening the thread locker or glue so you can unscrew the crown. Don't rely on this to work in every instance. You need a little force to unscrew and sometimes.... the old stem will rather break. Have a new stem ready (just in case). Also, as you wont have a comparison ensemble to measure the length (stem outside the crown) - measure before you unscrew.