When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob to Panerai

Bibbs

Hey guys,

I origionally came here for a Breitling, but I'm now attracted to a Panerai.

In the Breitling section there is a good guide to the watches and models, and how they compare to the Gens.

I can find nothing for the Panerai range, am I just not looking hard enough?

I'm getting lost with all the numbers being thrown about. Can someone point me to a guide/FAQ please?

There is no comprehensive guide to the PAM reps. There are way too many. You should decide what type of model you like - 40 or 44mm luminor (with cg), 42 or 45mm radiomir or one of the 47mm models of either. You might start by looking at one of the dealer's sites to get a sense of what is currently available. Then people can steer you in the right direction.

If you will ultimately be striving for accuracy combined with reliability it is best to forget about display-back models. This will allow the use of unmodified Swiss movements and totally accurate casebacks. At least you won't have to be concerned about the rear view of the watch or the internals - this reduces scale of the task but also narrows the field.

I gathered there where loads after having a scan of the dealers.

I was just hoping for a topic with explanations of 'luminor' or 'radiomir' etc, as I've no clue :)

I notice that the 'radiomir' doesn't have a crown guard (is this the main diff?). I prefer the ones with the guard.

My Skyland is a 44mm, and it feels nicely large but not OTT.

I prefer the ones with a blank bezel area too, but I like sub dials.

The power reserve looks nice. On a bracelet.

Basically, I'm after something a bit smarter, classic looking and dressier than my Breitlings.

The clear caseback is not important. For teh time being ;)

Edited by Bibbs