When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NYC Hotels?

stilty

I'm planning a getaway with the wife in the spring. We're thinking NYC.

anyway, gonna use points for this trip. Unfortunately, the hotel selection is very limited with my reward points.

Here is what I'm down to:

W - Times Square

Best Western Bowery Hanbee

Sheraton Hotel & Towers

I've checked tripadvisor, and the only hotel that is even rated in the top 100 is the Best Western Bowery. #82 out of 407 hotels.

I'm thinking the W Times Square. Any thoughts? From what I've been reading, the reviews for all the W's have not been that favorable. A [censored] load of points too!

It's been about 5 years since I've been to NYC, and I used to stay with my sister when she lived there.

W Union Square is really nice; regardless, I'd stay at any W versus the rest of your list.

I have stayed in W's in New Orleans and Chicago and have had mixed experiences. The Chicago Hotel in particular has both excellent and poor rooms. It is like a coin flip as to which type you will get.

I have not read the reviews on Trip Advisor, but I do wonder if some of the criticisms are the result of the overall feel and style that W's attempt to achieve. They are not like Hyatt's or Hilton's .... Classical designs, bright rooms, etc.. The W's are trendy... almost dark and hip. They feel more like a NYC lounge or hip cafe than they do like a hotel

Also the Time Square W is in close proximity to at least 9 subway lines and 1/2d dozen buses. When you are at the W you are no more than 20 minutes away from just about any place in NYC.

The Best Western is not as convenient to the city as a whole but is it not exactly out of the way either ... just about every location in NYC is convenient .... but perhaps not as convenient as midtown if you are looking to see the whole city. Still, The Best Western it is in a really cool and trendy location and IS conveniently located to other trendy locations. You can walk to Soho, Nolita, Little Italy, The East Village, and China Town ... all really cool spots. You can even venture to Canal street and do some funky watch shopping (right Frank and Slay??) if you are into lower quality goods as a kick. I really like that area and I do not think you can go wrong.

As to the Sheraton Hotel and Towers, I am not sure which one you are referring to. There are 2 on 6th ave in the 50's, not far from Central Park and Rock Center, and Radio City. Also very convenient, in the heart of midtown, near a couple of good subway lines although perhaps not as many as in Time Square. . These hotels are more geared toward business travelers than either of the two others, although at least one of thee two also sells time sharing. I have never seen the rooms, but the lobbies of both are pretty nice (I have been to functions there)

Hope that helps

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, we were thinking the W times square as it is central and easy to get around, and more funky. I want to burn up my points, so we are limited to those properties.

Anyone know when the Yankees tickets go on sale? It looks like we will be in town for the season home opener.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, we were thinking the W times square as it is central and easy to get around, and more funky. I want to burn up my points, so we are limited to those properties.

Anyone know when the Yankees tickets go on sale? It looks like we will be in town for the season home opener.

I would not be surprised if they are already sold out given that the new Stadium opens this year. Your best bet may be to try stub hub

http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-yankees-tickets/ or a broker.