When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

T's T48 Ti Crown arrived and fit beautifully... pics

projectologist

Man oh man am I happy with T's ti crown! Obviously I need to size the stem, but the crown fit right onto the gen tube/case set with zero gaposis. Case set/back is a PAM 56 with a std. gen ti cg (probably will never find the destro version). Now looking for the best rep brown dial to finish it off for now.

T48ti02.jpg

T48ti01.jpg

Robert in SoCal

Dare I ask how long you had to search to find that case? and how much it set you back?

I desperatly want to build a 176 but every Ti. case I see has horrible fitment with the CG which is holding me back from starting that project.

I've almost given up and started to save for a Gen 176 instead.

A gen 177H just sold at Paneristi for $3000 USD complete with boxes and papers. This is a great time to buy used gen. I came upon mine by chance and spending too much time patrolling eBay.

Robert in SoCal

Very sweet, Robert! :thumbsupsmileyanim: The fit and finish of that T Ti crown is definitely up to genuine standards...

Coincidentally, I also recently received a Ti T-48, and used it to refurbish my old 118:

img4153if6.jpg

img4160wy4.jpg

This is good to hear as I have Jimmy's case with his tube and been wondering if T's crown needs a rep tube to fit.

That is very surprising. T's crowns were built for rep cases. Rep cases purposely have thinner case tubes since they do not bother with the whole case tube with lip to facilitate functionality of spring loaded mechanism on the crown. And a gen crown has the encased spring system which widens its entry point into the case. The Jimmy or gen case tube should certainly be wide enough but I would have thought it would have let a gap where the spindle slides into the case.

That is very surprising. T's crowns were built for rep cases. Rep cases purposely have thinner case tubes since they do not bother with the whole case tube with lip to facilitate functionality of spring loaded mechanism on the crown. And a gen crown has the encased spring system which widens its entry point into the case. The Jimmy or gen case tube should certainly be wide enough but I would have thought it would have let a gap where the spindle slides into the case.

This was my impression too that T's crown and Jimmys tube don't mate well. I'm not certainly an expert on this, only assumed that if T's crown will fit to gen ti tube then it would also fit with Jimmy's tube.

But it would nice to hear if someone has tried this...

This was my impression too that T's crown and Jimmys tube don't mate well. I'm not certainly an expert on this, only assumed that if T's crown will fit to gen ti tube then it would also fit with Jimmy's tube.

But it would nice to hear if someone has tried this...

Guess I need to clarify. I fitted the T48 just before heading out of town and haven't tried the SS T48 on my Jimmy case. On the gen case there was no wiggle as the crown slipped over the outer part of the case tube perfectly. However I didn't look to see if there was a gap between the ID of the case tube and the OD of the most extended part of the crown. Will post my findings when I get back Mon. evening.

OR I could call my wife back @ home and run her through the T48 fit test... on second thought...

Robert in SoCal

If you can get your wife to do that I am very jealous. :wub: That is very cool that T's crown locks nicely into the lip. In terms of what is going on behind the lip I would guess (and it is a guess) that there is a gap between the crown tube/stem and the sides of the jimmy or gen case tube. An easy way to tell whether there is a gap is to pull out the crown away from the lip and see if you get wobble (in effect - unstable crown in the setting position).

I think that this picture answers your question...It's a Jimmy tube on a T-48 crown, showing the gap between the inner diameter of the tube, and the OD of the crown:

img4168au5.jpg

Not perfect, but not too bad, once you consider that the gasket takes up some additional space.

Please note that I modified this tube to fit a lello crown (reduced the OD, and length), but did not change the inside diameter. With that in mind, I would have some concerns that an unmodified Jimmy tube might not fit inside the lip of the T crown, as it looks very close in the picture...

This is frustrating... the next time I travel I'm bringing a couple of my unfinished projects with me to mess with. I would have the crown fitment issue settled in a matter of minutes. It's 12 degrees outside where I'm visiting and not much else to do for the next several days.

Robert wishing I was back in SoCal

Great pic. Only you know how much you narrowed the outer diameter but it most probably is a tight fit. But I also see that you need well-fit gaskets on the inner diameter. The spring loaded mechanism is what fills the inner case tube. On a gen or gen crown with Jimmy tube it fits in very tightly. And the T crown fits beautifully in a standard rep case as well. :)