When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Visited AD while in the mall today

teddy boy

The wife and I were shopping today so I went in one of the jewelry stores that sells high end watches. I was wearing my rep white gold day date which was about 1/3 visible under my shirt sleeve. When the clerk eyed my watch, he couldn't pull rolexes out fast enough for me to examine. That was the good part of having the rep on. The bad part was that there was no way I was taking my watch off to try theirs' on. All I did was handle the watches that he showed.

The most interesting model that he showed me was the new submariner in white gold. The watch is really heavy, much heavier than I recall the old solid gold model. The clerk indicated that the extra weight was due to a new ceramic bezel and completely solid links on the band. The band itself has been redesigned and no longer has the sheet metal type design at the clasp. The clasp design seems more in line with the overall quality of the watch as compared to the original. Overall the watch was very attractive. However, I'd have to say that the blue dial and bezel don't look as striking against the white gold as they do against the old yellow gold. That's not to say that I was a fan of the older yellow gold, it was a bit too much bling for me. It's just that the white gold on the new watch doesn't complement the blue as well. The watch prices out at around $29,000 U.S. That seems like a lot for a watch that most people can't distinguish on sight from stainless.

The wife and I were shopping today so I went in one of the jewelry stores that sells high end watches. I was wearing my rep white gold day date which was about 1/3 visible under my shirt sleeve. When the clerk eyed my watch, he couldn't pull rolexes out fast enough for me to examine. That was the good part of having the rep on. The bad part was that there was no way I was taking my watch off to try theirs' on. All I did was handle the watches that he showed.

The most interesting model that he showed me was the new submariner in white gold. The watch is really heavy, much heavier than I recall the old solid gold model. The clerk indicated that the extra weight was due to a new ceramic bezel and completely solid links on the band. The band itself has been redesigned and no longer has the sheet metal type design at the clasp. The clasp design seems more in line with the overall quality of the watch as compared to the original. Overall the watch was very attractive. However, I'd have to say that the blue dial and bezel don't look as striking against the white gold as they do against the old yellow gold. That's not to say that I was a fan of the older yellow gold, it was a bit too much bling for me. It's just that the white gold on the new watch doesn't complement the blue as well. The watch prices out at around $29,000 U.S. That seems like a lot for a watch that most people can't distinguish on sight from stainless.

The white gold sub like other white gold rolexes has a shinier more polished finish than the SS models and stays that way more so than stainless on daily wearing. it sparkles and is very eye catching IMO. It's not easily captured in photos but in the hand it is pretty obvious, you wouldn't get this with any stainless case w/o obsessive polishing. would love to see pics of the new white gold sub tho

Edited by Jurgenk

Keep in mind that some people buy a watch for reasons other than to impress other people. The two things I find remarkable about a gold watch are that it's significantly heavier than a similar SS model and that the metal feels softer (more comfortable).

Keep in mind that some people buy a watch for reasons other than to impress other people. The two things I find remarkable about a gold watch are that it's significantly heavier than a similar SS model and that the metal feels softer (more comfortable).

Silly question - but does gold over SS rise / fall in temperature to better match the skin ?

Is that what you are describing ?

The weight that you're talking about was obvious just holding the watch in my hand. I think you would need a pretty snug fit on the band for a watch this heavy. Something that heavy moving around on the wrist would drive me crazy. So far as the feel of the band was concerned, I really couldn't get a sense of that. As I said, there was no way that I was taking my rep day date off in order to try his submariner on. My rep is really pretty good and would fool all but the best trained eye. I don't know if this guy was that astute, but I certainly wasn't anxious to find out. I know that the white gold is shinier than the stainless, the difference just isn't obvious with a casual glance. This watch could easily be mistaken for a stainless model selling for a mere $8000 or so.