When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD bezel extremely tight

DemonSlayer

Well I just got a SSD in, this watch is the ultimate tool watch IMO. I read that one of the nice things about this watch was the very smooth turning and clicking of the bezel. But on mine, I have to wear rubber gloves to grip the bezel to turn :o something ain't right :D

What could be the cause?

I must say, I am tempted to do some mods on this watch, but I'm scared I'll mess things up. I've now spent about 3 hours trying to do the 'epoxy pearl' mod, trying a range of fillers including GS Hypo cement, and nail varnish. I applied, and cleaned up so many times I've lost count, and managed to get a hairline scratch on the insert from the slip of a needle! (Oh well, it adds character to the watch :D)

I just never manage to get that domed pearl look without creating a messy finish.

I wouldn't attempt a CG mod on this one, not before I try it on a cheapie rep, neither the insert recess mod, but I must say, it looks magnifecent on the wrist as it is :)

It sounds like the bezel assembly may be dirty from the manufacturing process (They don't always clean them well.). I've used a silicon spray lubricant before when Ive had the same problem. Silicon is a non greasy lubricant that doesn't attract dirt. It also works well to keep the bracelet from rattling.

For the pearl, use a 2 part epoxy. I've used a 5 minute 2 part epoxy before with good results. Just mix up a little (make sure to work any air bubbles out) and dip a toothpick in it to form a little drop on the end of the toothpick. You only need a very small amount. Then touch the drop to the top of the lume in the pearl. The epoxy should run down the lume dot and fill the space between the lume dot and the steel ring. Make sure the pearl sets level until the epoxy sets up.

The first CGs I did were on my SSD. I followed Gio's tutorial pinned at the top of this Rolex section and I think they turned out nice.

Good luck!!

It sounds like the bezel assembly may be dirty from the manufacturing process (They don't always clean them well.). I've used a silicon spray lubricant before when Ive had the same problem. Silicon is a non greasy lubricant that doesn't attract dirt. It also works well to keep the bracelet from rattling.

For the pearl, use a 2 part epoxy. I've used a 5 minute 2 part epoxy before with good results. Just mix up a little (make sure to work any air bubbles out) and dip a toothpick in it to form a little drop on the end of the toothpick. You only need a very small amount. Then touch the drop to the top of the lume in the pearl. The epoxy should run down the lume dot and fill the space between the lume dot and the steel ring. Make sure the pearl sets level until the epoxy sets up.

The first CGs I did were on my SSD. I followed Gio's tutorial pinned at the top of this Rolex section and I think they turned out nice.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the info mate. I think the problem with GS Hypo cement and nail polish is that it cures very fast, within seconds it starts to turn thick and gooey, so as you described with the epoxy, theres no chance of it 'running down the lume dot'. I think I may have to give 2-part epoxy a try. The only thing that concerns me about this is that I have to get it right pretty much on the first attempt as after it cures, theres no chance of removal.

I too have studied many crown guard modding tutorials and read lots of info up on it, I guess I'm just chicken :lol: and concerned that I will somehow mess things up and end up with unsightly cg's.

With the silicon spray, shall I just spray on the underside of the bezel, hoping some seeps in?

Thanks for the words of encouragement btw, I will one day get the courage to do the cg mod, I just hope it's sooner rather than later :)

In another post i recommended every rlx rep buyer disassemble the bezel construction, clean it and reassemble it ... The feel is much better after that.. Why dont you try a new aftermarket insert?

I'm sure the feel is much better after that, but I've heard that it's extremely hard to disassemble the bezel construction on these things. If the insert you are talking of is the WM one, I've read that it's pretty flimsy, and that the standard one that comes with the SSD is much better quality. The only bad thing about them is pearls, mine came with the infamous 'zit' one, that's why I'm practicing with the epoxy pearl mod to make it look much better.